PDA

View Full Version : Stippled my S&W M&P 45!

seagiant
05-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Hi,
I'm doing a little tuning to my M&P and decided to stipple it! I've never done plastic before but have done metal. Plastic is easier but is also easier to mess something up! I did a little practice on an old AR-15 grip and then went to it. I reshaped an old soldering iron to a dull point and I like the random pattern. Notice I also did the striker plate at the back of the slide and the mag release button! Here's some pics!

alrighty
05-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Very nice! I went with the skateboard tape on mine , it is not nearly as nice.
I like the trigger finger magazine drop so well I have started converting my 1911's over , so much easier.
I do like the M&P 's , they seem very reliable.With the addition of the Apex trigger kit , Dawson Precision adjustable sights I find it pretty accurate as well.
I like my 1911's but I have no problem carrying this at all.

45 acp
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
That looks realy good. How's it feel ?

seagiant
05-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Hi,
Alrighty,that's VERY nice! I have ordered some 10-8 Performance sights also! When I get them on I will post some pics! I did the Burwell trgger job but decided to get the Apex Hard sear and will put that in with the sights hopefully in a few days. To me thses polymer pistols all need a stipple job as mine feels 200% better!

alrighty
05-14-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi,
Alrighty,that's VERY nice! I have ordered some 10-8 Performance sights also! When I get them on I will post some pics! I did the Burwell trgger job but decided to get the Apex Hard sear and will put that in with the sights hopefully in a few days. To me thses polymer pistols all need a stipple job as mine feels 200% better!

I like the 10-8 sights , simple and rugged.I was going to go that route with a tall front sight blank and mill to P.O.I. I went ahead and picked up a trijicon night sight so I went with the adjustable rear.Adjustable rear sight is not really needed but these pistols are accurate enough to warrant one if a person wishes.
I also picked up some of the 10-8 magazine base plates.I was worried about the plastic on mag drops but I haven't had to replace any yet.They seem to be very durable as well.
The rear grip panels are stippled and sold by a guy on ebay.I have thought about trying to duplicate the pattern on the front strap now that I have decided that the M&P is a keeper!

seagiant
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Hi,
Well from looking at yours I think if you got a regular soldering iron and then ground the tip flat but sharp and then practice on something else you could do it. My nephew has an MP FS 9mm and he's going to bring his over and I will do the works on his. Now that I know what to do I could do the fluff and buff and the stippling like mine in less than an hour! I'm looking at the serrations on the top of the slide also because it looks so great,but it is not cheap!

williamwaco
05-14-2013, 08:34 PM
I like it!

seagiant
05-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi,
Got my 10-8 Performance sights and an APEX hard sear today. The sear gives me a better/lighter pull and also a better reset than my home brew trigger job! I like the sights better to! The front is a "gold" bead and easy for my eyes to see!

alrighty
05-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi,
Got my 10-8 Performance sights and an APEX hard sear today. The sear gives me a better/lighter pull and also a better reset than my home brew trigger job! I like the sights better to! The front is a "gold" bead and easy for my eyes to see!

Very nice , I think the flat tip on the soldering iron can replicate my stippling as well.I will find out.
The gold bead front sight is now one of my favorites.After I milled my Springfield mil-spec 1911 the SDM gold bead was the sight I installed.I can pick it up faster than any sight that I have found.On my next M&P, that is what I will use.
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Gold%20Bead.htm

Uncle Grinch
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I ran across this thread and thought I would share my stippling project. It's on the steel receiver ring of my 9.3x62 Mauser. It has iron sights, so I thought stippling may reduce some glare.

alrighty
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
I ran across this thread and thought I would share my stippling project. It's on the steel receiver ring of my 9.3x62 Mauser. It has iron sights, so I thought stippling may reduce some glare.
I like it ! Please tell the details on how you achieved that finish.I have tried to replicate that style.The closest I have came was to use a pneumatic needle scaler. It works fine on small areas but I had to sharpen the needles to points and they wear out quickly , therefore it changes the appearance before you get very far.

Uncle Grinch
05-16-2013, 05:07 PM
I tried using the traditional hammer and chisel/punch but could not get the texture that I wanted. Was practicing on some plate steel and decided to try my electric engraver, mostly to see how hard the material was compared to my receiver. It actually was harder than my Mauser.

So, I taped off the borders with several layer of painters tape and slowly covered the area with my engraving tool. I had to go over it several times to even the texture out. I then lightly went over it with some 400 grit wet/or/dry paper and after degreasing, I applied some Brownells cold blueing.

Glad you like it.

alrighty
05-16-2013, 05:30 PM
I tried using the traditional hammer and chisel/punch but could not get the texture that I wanted. Was practicing on some plate steel and decided to try my electric engraver, mostly to see how hard the material was compared to my receiver. It actually was harder than my Mauser.

So, I taped off the borders with several layer of painters tape and slowly covered the area with my engraving tool. I had to go over it several times to even the texture out. I then lightly went over it with some 400 grit wet/or/dry paper and after degreasing, I applied some Brownells cold blueing.

Glad you like it.
Thank you ,the electric engraver is something I never thought of using.

W.R.Buchanan
05-16-2013, 11:44 PM
OK: I found the pics. good job!,,, Looks nice and I'm sure it will increase your security of grip when things are humid down there,,, Which is pretty much all the time, huh?

Randy

seagiant
05-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi,
Florida:Humid? Hmmmm...? That's what makes CCW so hard down here is a jacket in July is a down right give away! The stippling is a night and day difference in feel and security of the weapon and I highly recommend it. Was watching my Magpul Pistol videos recording the techniques in the old cabeza for a range session today,about all I can do but at least have the confidence of practicing the right way!