PDA

View Full Version : accurate mold

pakmc
05-14-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a new 512350S accurate mold. I can't get it to fill all the groves in cast bullet for sh**. I've heated the mold till the spruce plate colored and the bullet are very frosted but the groves will not fill out completely. I tap the side of the mold as it cools and I get one good bullet in about 6 or 8 tries, the mold is a two holer I"ve tried getting every thing so hot it take up to 5 minutes till the bullets cool enough to knock out. I arrived at this number after pouring out liquid lead of the mold a few times. could my lead be too "hard" for the mold; I'm loading for a 1865 56-50 spencer and we're thinking we need a hard lead bullet. My .45 schofield spencer is the same way, I'm getting jams and there are holes in the nose of the bullets

bosterr
05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I used to think the bigger the cavity/caliber, the faster you had to fill it. I have a .50 400 gr. 2 cavity Mountain Mold that I had a problem with good fill out. The remedy was to slow down the pour to give the air time to get out. Problem solved.

tomme boy
05-14-2013, 12:29 PM
WAY! too hot!

What are you using for lead?

mkf350
05-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Try adding some tin to the mix.

DrCaveman
05-14-2013, 06:14 PM
You don't mention how large of a sprue puddle you are leaving on top of the sprue while pouring.
I'd think you want a pretty big one for that boolit... Maybe the diameter of a quarter above each hole, and 1/8" or more thick? Help here guys?

Also why are you tapping the side of the mold as it cools?
The only tapping I might do is against the sprue plate (rarely these days, my thumb works better) and also against the hinge bolt.
Not that the tapping is causing this problem, but it can't be good for the mold

MT Chambers
05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
I think you need a dead soft bullet, either pure lead or lead with a small amount of tin, maybe 30-1, it will not frost and may cast well for you.