PDA

View Full Version : Mold not closing NOE 311 155 GC

Rich22
05-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Started trying to cast with this mold this morning and it is not closing correctly at all. I have checked the inside of the mold to see if there are any raised areas or any lead that would keep it from closing and have found nothing, seems like I can either get the front of the mold or the back closed at one time but not both so it obviously will not work. Trying to get some ideas to keep from having to send this sucker back to Al since I need to use it pretty much right away. I will post the best pictures I can get of the issue.

Thank you7052270521

SwedeNelson
05-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Rich22

Had some problems with the bushings pushing out.
Check and see if one of them protrudes out of the face of the block.
Give me a call 801 377-7289 and I will talk you through some other checks
What ever the problem is you can send it back and we will fix or replace it.

Al Nelson

plainsman456
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Good folks here.

runfiverun
05-14-2013, 05:13 PM
there ya go.
it looks like a pin sticking out to me too.
give AL a call and talk to him.

Rich22
05-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Did you lube the pins and sockets? Are the pins or sockets raised? Will the blocks close correctly with the handles removed?

Forgot to put that in there, will not close correctly with or without, I did not throw enough lead to get up to operating temp to apply the bullplate as of yet.

Rich22
05-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Ya know I did not even think to check that, I will check it out and likely call tomorrow if I can. Appreciate it Al
Rich22

Al Nelson

melloairman
05-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Rich22

Al Nelson
I certainly wish I had gotten that response from Tom when I had the problem with my mold . If so I would not have a $ 85.00 plus paper weight now . Marvin

Blammer
05-14-2013, 10:02 PM
looks like you also need to smoothe the leading edge of your sprue plate so it doesn't rub on the top of the block. Take a fine file an hit the side of the sprue that contacts the block first. (you'll have to take off the sprue to do it right)

I'd check the pins to see if the walked out just a tad, that may be your isssue.

I would also take some emery cloth and touch the inside holes the pins rest in. Just a twist or two is all it takes.