PDA

View Full Version : Stutzen

Tatume
05-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Hello Folks,

I知 looking for ideas and suggestions for both a builder and action. If you know of a shop that has built single-shot stutzen rifles I would appreciate knowing of them. There are techniques unique to this type.

I知 undecided on an action, or even the action type for that matter. I知 considering tip-up and falling block, but would also be interested in learning of any successful builds on a pivoting block, or Martini action.

Frankly, I know of so few people who know anything about these rifles that I would like to talk to anybody in the know. Photos would be appreciated too.

Thanks, Tom

Nobade
05-14-2013, 07:44 AM
I was looking at several offered by Merkel at the last SHOT show. Don't know what they cost but they were very nice and well balanced. Either steel or aluminum receivers available. Kreighoff had some too, they're nice as well. Depending on how involved you want to get, a factory made one might be cheaper.

-Nobade

Doc Highwall
05-14-2013, 09:23 AM
I have been thinking of using a Ruger No1 action and having a new barrel chambered for something like the 32 Miller cartridge.

dragonrider
05-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=shutzen&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS325US326&q=schuetzen+rifle&gs_l=hp..1.0i10l5.0.0.0.10265...........0.UZ4yc1F8 wfU

Used to be a member at our club who had several dozen of this types of rifle. It was the only style of shooting that he had done for about 50 years. Sadly he has been dead for some years now. It was fun watching him shoot. He used a tool to load the boolit into the chamber, the case, loaded with powder and a tuft of dacron was then inserted behind the boolit. He told me that the point of loading the boolit into chamber first was to insert it into the rifling at exactly the same spot every time. It must have worked becase he could produce groups of less than and inch at two hundred yards, from a rest.

Baja_Traveler
05-14-2013, 10:02 AM
What's a Stutzen rifle?

Now I've heard of single shot Schuetzen rifles before, but never a Stutzen.

uscra112
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
It's a word sometimes used to describe a short rifle or carbine in German.

uscra112
05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
If the O.P. actually meant Schuetzen, he should join the ASSRA and lurk on the web site for a while.

http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Tatume
05-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I was looking at several offered by Merkel at the last SHOT show.

Hi Nobade,

The Merkel is indeed a nice looking rifle. I'm going to give it some serious thought. Here's a photo.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/2011/07/29/merkel-firearms-single-shot-a-teeny-tiny-270/

Thanks, Tom

Nobade
05-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Yep, that's the one. One of those rifles would be so beautiful to carry all day hunting. I really like how the breech works to allow the aluminum receiver to work with high pressure cartridges. Neat toys!

-Nobade

Tatume
05-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Yep, that's the one. One of those rifles would be so beautiful to carry all day hunting. I really like how the breech works to allow the aluminum receiver to work with high pressure cartridges. Neat toys!

Now that I've had time to look at some photos and articles, it appears that the Merkel K3 and the Blaser K95 are the same rifles. What's more, I wrote to Merkel on their contact form and got an automated out-of-office reply from Andre Gorjup of Blaser USA. So, it appears to be a Chevy/GM sort of arrangement, same guns with different markings.

Take care, Tom

Shooter
05-15-2013, 07:28 AM
They are beautiful, but spendy. As close as I will come is my Ruger 7X57 RSI.
I would love to have one to look at, but imagine the size of the tears if you dropped or scratched it.:(

Tatume
05-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Hi Mike,

Yes, I agree. It's going to be hard to raise that much cash for a rifle, and it will depend on how much I really want it. I too have a Ruger No. 1 RSI. Mine is chambered in 270 Winchester, and it is my favorite hunting rifle. It sports a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x scope that is wonderful, and looks positively Alpine. Since I like the Ruger so much, it's hard to figure out why I want a different rifle. Who knows, maybe I don't.

Take care, Tom

Shooter
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Tom,
I know the feeling. I love the Krieghoff Hubertus, I could look at the engraving for hours.
Then there is the Soroka.
So many, to drool over.

jagfolks
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
In a word, CPA rifle.

Malgus
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM
What's a Stutzen rifle?

Now I've heard of single shot Schuetzen rifles before, but never a Stutzen.

I became familiar with stutzens in Germany while stationed there.

Usually they're carbine length rifles, mostly full-stocked to the muzzle. Short, light and handy, I heard that they were also called "stalking" rifles... meant to be carried lots and shot little. Never did find out if they were all single-shot carbines or if any were bolt action... most of the ones I saw were single shot, full stocked carbines. Usually very ornate, high dollar bang sticks. Some even had spare ammo compartments cunningly built into the buttstock.

Tatume
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Usually they're carbine length rifles, mostly full-stocked to the muzzle. Short, light and handy, I heard that they were also called "stalking" rifles... meant to be carried lots and shot little. Never did find out if they were all single-shot carbines or if any were bolt action.

Hi Malgus,

Yes, there are stutzen repeating rifles. In fact, bolt action stutzen rifles are more common than single shots. I've even seen one semiautomatic.

Take care, Tom

Malgus
05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi Malgus,

Yes, there are stutzen repeating rifles. In fact, bolt actions stutzen rifles are more common than single shots. I've even seen one semiautomatic.

Take care, Tom

Really? Huh... learn something new every day, I guess.

Thanks for the info and good catch.

Mal

Tatume
05-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Hi Mal,

In fact, the Mannlicher-Schoenauer family of bolt-action stutzen rifles is so common that the full-length stock on a sporting rifle is commonly (and erroneously) called a Mannlicher stock.

Oh, and on the matter of stutzen semiautomatic rifles, one of the prettiest (if not the most practical) that I've ever seen was a Mannlicher Selbstlade-Karabiner Model 1901 Semi-Automatic Carbine. It was a so-called pistol/carbine, and superficially resembled a Mauser broomhandle. I've also seen very pretty full-stock Mauser broomhandle carbines, but most were half-stocked.

Take care, Tom