PDA

View Full Version : Its all you'alls fault

lightman
05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
I thought I had a lifetime supply, until I started reading about some of you guys stashes! Well, I once was a pretty good scrounger, so I started looking again. I've come up with about three 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights, for free, in the last few weeks. Then I found a shop that claims an unlimited amount, for a reasonable price per bucket. I committed to all he can provide. So, someone tell me what % of lead I can expect from a shop in a state, Arkansas, that has not banned lead. I have not sorted the first 3 buckets that I have, so any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking this may be a deal! I'm also have a line on an old hospital, hoping for an x-ray table. Lightman

louism
05-13-2013, 11:11 PM
I just went through a 5 a couple of weeks ago and had just a couple of pounds of steel and zinc. The rest was mostly clip on with about 7 pounds of stick on. Louisiana has not banned lead for wheel weights. It is just hard to get it down here. Lots of competition.

lightman
05-14-2013, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. This may turn out to be a good score. Its cheap enough that I'm hopeful, anyway. Lightman

lightman
05-14-2013, 05:30 PM
This store may turn into a good source! Just got a bucket and a half for $30.00. They say they get about that many every month. I've never bought lead before, always scrounged it. Now to dump them on the table, open a beer, and start sorting. Lightman

a.squibload
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Not bad, around here they wanna trade even weight for gold.

10 ga
05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
A good yield is 70 - 80%. IE... 100# bucket of raw ww yield 70# ingots. Be sure to keep coww and soww separate.

nwellons
05-15-2013, 07:41 AM
In Georgia, I am getting about 70 - 75% lead from tire shop scrap.

lightman
05-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the replys, everybody. I'm hopeful that my yield is that good. I'm seeing a zinker or two, and a little junk, but even my free ones have that kinda stuff. Lightman