PDA

View Full Version : Lanes Reloader

wire nut
05-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Do anyone have One or used one. This is similar to the shotshell reloaders that lee sold. I am particulary interested in the one for the 410 bore.
I have been reloading and using a roll crimp made by BPI. While the loads pattern fairly well I am not satisfied with the way the roll crimp looks. Thanks in advance. Wire nut

jmort
05-13-2013, 08:54 PM
I have 12 gauge and very well made. Also, Paco Kelly makes a really nice kit as well for .410 and RMC does as well.
http://rockymountaincartridge.com/products.htm
http://www.pacotools.com/tool_discriptions

I don't believe any of these "hand tools" allow star crimping. You will need a MEC for that. I like roll crimping best.

wire nut
05-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Looking at the web site this tool appears to do a star crimp. I took an old mec 250 loader and retrofitted with parts made in my shop so I could deprime, reprime and size the brass. My reloads shoot and pattern ok but leaves a lot to be desired with looks. I am also having problems with the hull splitting on the second reloading. Thanks Wire Nut

turbo1889
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a "Lane Loader" kit for the 410. The double duty kit with tubes for both the 2-1/2" and 3" length shells. It works as well or better then the original Lee shot-shell loaders but unfortunately has the same two problems that the original Lee Loader had. Namely it doesn't size down the brass base of the shell so reloads can only be sure to work in the same gun they were fired in originally (original Lee Loader for shot-shells had same problem) and the crimping cone for making star crimps is a simple tapered cone and you have to use your finger nail to push the inside corners of the fold crimp in to get a decent looking crimp (early Lee shotshell loaders had the same problem but some of the very last ones made included a star crimp setter unit that usually is the first thing lost out of the old sets).

My Lane loader set is for plastic shells with fold crimps and 209 primers. He also sells sets for mag-tech brass shells that use large pistol primers. There is a way he could also sell a simple extra add on for his sets consisting of two pieces that would allow the user to size the brass bases of the hulls and I've been meaning to e-mail him with that info (worked it out myself as a custom made add on to his kit) since I think others would probably be interested in it as well but haven't got around to it yet.

Also, at least as of a year or more ago the instructions that came with the Lanes Loader kits were just old photocopies of the old Lee Loader shotshell instructions of which the Lanes Loader is a modern improvement on and aren't that informative and you kind of got to figure it out yourself (not hard to figure out how it works yourself at least not for me).

As to roll crimp tools, the best I've found is Precision Reloading (.com) house brand metal ones. They use the curl ramp precision milled head rather then the more common but not as good roll pin design.