PDA

View Full Version : I've become a lead hoarder

tengaugetx
05-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi everybody, been lurking for a while. I have learned volumes of new information here but this is my first post. Like so many I started casting a few months ago out of necessity. I got my first bucket of wheel weights a couple months ago and cast some corn bread stick ingots with them. After that I cast several thousand boolits and loaded some ammo.
That was all it took to get the fever. I'm not sure whether I like the stack of ingots or the peanut butter jars full of boolits better. All I know for sure is I want more. What is it with this stuff? Now I am asking everybody I know "got any old lead laying around".

TenTea
05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Maybe you can get on that show...what's it called? Oh yeah: Hoarders :bigsmyl2:

Smoke4320
05-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I'm in the same boat .. many years ago I cast for a 58 enfield and a TC 45 Muzzleloader . Had not done any in probably 20 years.. Still had about 20 lbs of lead
Just started with 458 socom bullets a month ago .. now have 16 molds and 500+ lbs of lead/WW and tin
I'm hooked

tengaugetx
05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
It's gotten pretty bad. I can't even go to the range and leave without picking a coffe can full of bullets off the burm before I leave.
I had about 100lbs put up but I cast about 25lbs yesterday. I think I will feel better after I have about 500lbs or so stashed away.

retread
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
tengaugetx,
It won't help! Once you get to 500, then you'll say when I get to 1000! And on and on it goes!

762 shooter
05-14-2013, 08:08 AM
You are not a hoarder!!

You are just pre-stocking a commodity.

Rooster
05-14-2013, 08:22 AM
I view it as being an Environmental Steward. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'm saving the world from itself one nugget at a time.

Teddy (punchie)
05-14-2013, 08:31 AM
We are getting into it to, just like so many others. Went and got any lead laying around and made ingots. Maybe it is like gold fever, just not worth as much.

TheGrimReaper
05-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Hoarder no...they just keep junk that is of no value and want use. Lead is worth money and can be used!!!

John Allen
05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Please let me welcome you to the club. It begins with Hi, (My name is) and I am hoarding lead.

I told myself I will stop looking for lead once I have my smelting wall filled to the top. Lucky for me it is only a foot tall by 4 feet long right now.

Defcon-One
05-14-2013, 11:53 AM
AREN"T WE ALL?

There is Gold!

Then Silver, "Poor man's Gold!"

and Then Lead, "Shooting Man's Gold!"

I am a shooting fan and I like to shoot for fun, even if the Government says it is bad! So, I scrounge lead where ever I can get it and store away what I do not use. Sound sensible to me. Someday when they ban lead, and they probably will, we'll all have enough to last the rest of our lives or at least the rest of the revolution. Which ever comes first!

One other note, everyone on this site is a lead hoarder. Who else would find and sign up for a site like this. A great resource full of great guys. My stash started as 40 pounds of homemade Lyman #2, 30 years ago. Long pause, then I got back into casting 3 years ago. My stash is much larger now because I really enjoy collecting Shooting Man's Gold, it is like treasure hunting with lots of treasure still out there!