PDA

View Full Version : How Hard to get a C&R License

brstevns
05-13-2013, 12:03 PM
How hard is it to get a c&r license? and what needs to be done to get one?

mace2364
05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
It's actually not too bad at all. You have to fill out the paperwork(I think you have to get your local sheriff to sign it, but I might be wrong. At any rate it's not that they're giving you permission so much as it's letting them know you're getting a license) and send $30 to the BATFE. Then you wait a bit, mine was like 30 days or so, and your license comes in the mail. WELL worth the trouble if you like the C&R stuff.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
05-14-2013, 08:06 AM
No sheriff signature needed, they just need to have a copy in their file, same thing when it's time to renew.
Nick

Epd230
05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Is it the same process for a renewal?
How long are they good for?

mace2364
05-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Basically it is the same process I believe. It's good for 3 years. If you move in that time, you need to get your license changed to reflect that, but you don't have to go through the whole application process again. You just have to mail your license back, with a letter explaining that you moved, and your new address. Mine took about 30 days when I did that.

wv109323
05-16-2013, 10:00 PM
They are good for five years. They are not too difficult to obtain. The first time it took me 14 days to get my first in about 2005. The renewal took about two months in 2010. There is a web site that deals with military surplus rifles that goes through the application process and tells you how to fill out the forms. Try militarysurplusrifles.com You must also supply finger prints.
The renewal does not require the finger prints. You must write a letter to the sheriff and provide a copy of the application IIRC.

cja245
05-16-2013, 10:54 PM
its just a matter of filling out the form and sending it with a check or credit card #. You also have to mail a copy of the same form to your chief law enforcement officer (generally the sheriff), but aside from dropping the two letters in the mailbox, there is nothing more required. Make sure you read the directions on the form carefully. I hear about people doing all sorts of stuff they aren't required to do in order to get a C&R because they confuse the directions meant for other FFL's. I got mine about 2 years ago and it took me about 20 min to fill out the forms and about 3 weeks wait for it to come in the mail. You can print out the form directly off the BATFE website.

brstevns
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks I think I will give it a try.

bruce drake
05-18-2013, 02:12 PM
They are good for 3 years not 5. And yes, they are worth it to develop a collection without dealer markup. The difficult part is the wait from the current Administration when it comes the BATFE. They are slow and have been getting slower every time I've renewed or change my address. Also the requirement to maintain a bound book has changed now for 03 FFLs in that when you let your license lapse, you are now required to submit the book back to the BATFE as if you were a Business 01 FFL. I will hold my license to see if the next administration fixes some of the errors of the current administration's BATFE chief but may let it go if it gets more stupid.

Jeff Michel
06-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Another advantage is that you are given business discounts from folks like Brownell's, Graf and son's, Midway. If you like Mil-surp weapons it will pay for itself in one transaction. If the weapon is fifty years old (it doesn't have to be military) and hasn't been altered from it's original state. (e.g. you can restock a 1903 Springfield with a replacement stock but you cannot have been sporterized and still be classified as a curio/relic.) it chances are it will qualify for transfer under an 03 C&R license. There is a book type list available from the ATF that will describe a bunch of different weapons that fall in this category. The ATF will include a copy with your information package when your license arrives.
There really isn't any hassles that I'm aware of. I don't know of anyone that ever had their "book" checked by the ATF. Just remember, the 03 license is not a license to conduct business, it's for collecting period. You can't accept transfer's for your buddies, fix guns for the public, etc. That will require an 01 dealer license. If you have a chance, check out Simpson's LTD web sight. It will show to an absolute ton of C&R weapons they have available. That will likely get you off the fence:)

RobsTV
06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Good for 3 years and no finger prints required.
You send the paperwork to BATF and a copy to your local Sheriff (mailed to his exact name and address at Sheriff's office).

See details in my sig.

First thing I bought with mine was a Radom P-64 (Makarov 9x18 round) and because of the C&R they shipped it right to my door, so saved $25 FFL transfer fee. Yes, even though this gun is only 40 years old, it qualifies for C&R because the 9x18 round is no longer used for New retail production weapons. Even a gun made 3 years ago has potential to qualify as C&R, if it meets the specific standards of collectable.

This also opens up some online websites that then allow you to purchase things they sell only to dealers. Mags, Weapons, Etc. You are a dealer to them if you have C&R. Here is an example: http://www.southernohiogun.com/

Have made dozens of purchases at Grafs over the past year, saving hundreds of dollars, all because of the $30 C&R dealer discount pricing.

brstevns
06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Sent in application May 19th but have not heard a word back?

mazo kid
06-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Have patience; it should be coming soon. Usually 4-6 weeks, but one time my renewal took 3 months!

brstevns
06-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Have patience; it should be coming soon. Usually 4-6 weeks, but one time my renewal took 3 months!

Hope it does not take 3 months! Was told it takes a while longer this time of year for all the people that have applied for a fireworks license slows down everyone else that has a applied for a firearms license

1500FPS
06-21-2013, 06:03 PM
The only concern I would have is a lot of people feel you are more under the government eye when you how a dealer license.

RobsTV
06-21-2013, 06:37 PM
The only concern I would have is a lot of people feel you are more under the government eye when you how a dealer license.

Probably true.
But another benefit is the news story headlines that read "They found a Cache of weapons in his home with 1000's of rounds of ammunition", then they see BATF licensed and all is O.K, he is not the bad guy the Cache of Weapons and Ammo makes him out to be to the uneducated news reader..

I wonder if they normally tell a deputy responding to a call at a residence that the homeowner has a FFL license and possible firearms?

EDG
06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
>>you are now required to submit the book back to the BATFE<<
If you read the license closely you will find that you are not required to send in the book if you let the license lapse.

waksupi
06-29-2013, 10:40 PM
If I give up my license, I will destroy my bound book records. If there was a mistake, some I not dotted, some T not crossed, I choose not to incriminate myself.

gunoil
06-29-2013, 11:26 PM
easy, i thought and super nice people.

brstevns
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Update, Still waiting. No word as of this date.

MrWolf
07-13-2013, 04:42 PM
I was just looking at the application for the C&R license and section 10C has a question that asks if you hold a valid hunting license - in the explanations it states that you mut have a valid and unexpired license or permit. I have an old license but not current. Looks like I will have to find the cheapest season to use and get a new license.

MrWolf
07-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Should have known that New Jersey does not recognize the C&R - worthless here [smilie=b:

aspangler
07-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Update, Still waiting. No word as of this date.

Call them. They are required by law to reject with notice and reason or issue within 60 days. Mine didn't show up and at 58 days I called the issuing officer. She called me back in less than an hour explaining and apologizing that it was entered into the computer but they could not find the hard copy. Asked if I had copies and could I email them to her. Affirmative. Had the license in my hands 3 days later. Call it can't hurt.

aspangler
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
I was just looking at the application for the C&R license and section 10C has a question that asks if you hold a valid hunting license - in the explanations it states that you mut have a valid and unexpired license or permit. I have an old license but not current. Looks like I will have to find the cheapest season to use and get a new license.
That is only for non registered aliens for compliance. If you are a US citizen that question does not apply to you.

John Allen
07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Is there any real downsides? Do you have to keep the C&R Stuff separate from your other stuff? I have thought about getting one more than once.

MrWolf
07-16-2013, 07:41 PM
I didn't notice that aspangler, thanks. Like I said worthless for us in NJ - straight from the State Police who stated it is not recognized in lovely NJ. Can't wait till I can leave and go somewhere more "normal"

mikeyjones
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I didn't notice that aspangler, thanks. Like I said worthless for us in NJ - straight from the State Police who stated it is not recognized in lovely NJ. Can't wait till I can leave and go somewhere more "normal"

The only reason to get one in nj is to get discounts from online retailers.

MrWolf
07-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Yea heard you can get discounts, but for the hassle with the books and such, I can find discounts and deals on the net without big brother and the bullseye on me.

brstevns
07-27-2013, 12:17 PM
What do you know License came in yesterday's mail. Now just need to save enough money to use it. HA! HA!