PDA

View Full Version : SAECO 571 and 38-55 Marlin Cowboy

fa38
09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the SAECO 571 300 grain tapered bullet in the 38-55 Marlin Cowboy Lever gun.
Will it feed through the action?
Will the case hold the bullet in place against tube spring pressure and recoil?
I realize the bullet was probably meant for single shot rifles.
fa38

ktw
09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I know it's not much, but if you check out MidwayUSA's customer reviews the three guys who took the time to review it all really liked it and one of them claimed to be using it in a Marlin Cowboy.

-ktw

fa38
09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
ktw
I will order it tomorrow. No I will not sell it to you if it does not work well. I have been thinking about getting a 38 cal. barrel for my Ballard and it will probably work in it.
fa38

ktw
09-13-2007, 12:04 AM
ktw
I will order it tomorrow. No I will not sell it to you if it does not work well.

:-D

Good luck with it. Let us know how it works out. I am interested in how much diameter you get on the base band.

-ktw

Jon K
09-13-2007, 02:02 AM
fa38 & ktw,

I don't have a Marlin, but a Win 94, yes it works good, but I size mine to .379 for the lever. This sizes the bottom bands. I seat boolit with the first grease groove exposed 2.530 OAL, with a only a light to medium taper crimp, to keep it from moving under recoil.

I sold my single cavity and bought a double cavity, after I found I liked this mold and it just works well. I use it for BP(20:1) and smokeless(WW+12% lino). I believe John Boy, on this board is who bought the SC mold.

Hope this answers your questions & helps.

Jon

:lovebooli

6pt-sika
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM
ktw
I will order it tomorrow. No I will not sell it to you if it does not work well. I have been thinking about getting a 38 cal. barrel for my Ballard and it will probably work in it.
fa38

I've looked at the Saeco 632 , 732 , 638 , 738 and 571 long and hard .

If I ever get a CPA I'll have to have all five moulds . The first two for a 32-40 barrel and the last three for a 38-55 barrel [smilie=1:

I know an older gentleman that bought the 738 mould for use in a 336CB and he didn't like it although I do not think he was sizing and was having a problem getting the bullets in the cases . I tried to purchase the mould from him , but he never would price it to me :???:

JudgeBAC
09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
I have used this bullet in a Marlin CB in front of XMP 5744 with some success. The only problem I have had with this mold is finding the sweet spot temperature. My bullets seem to be wrinkled and I have yet to pour consistent bullets with this mold. The other concern is my sight settings. A marble tang sight is mounted on my rifle and when shooting lighter bullets the sight adjustment from the heavier to lighter bullet is substantial. Other than that, this seems to be a good bullet. I have yet to load a number of them in the magazine and prior to doing so would study the shape of the nose to ensure that this bullet would not accidently ignite the round in front and cause a catastrophic failure.

Jon K
09-13-2007, 05:57 PM
JudgeBAC,

Big difference in sight setting is normal for change in boolit weight.

Don't worry about premature ignition frm the nose design, if you measure the boolit, it is smaller than the chamfered portion of the primer pocket, but.......the seated primer seats .003+ below the case rim and the boolit, will sit .003 elow the case rim of the following boolit. Hence forth the boolit is penetrating enough to puncture the primer, nor does it have enough recoil to do so.

6pt-,

If you are looking for those molds I will soon have a Saeco 738 SC for sale soon, I special ordered a 738 4 cavity. I can't help you with the 638 & 571, already sold them.

bobthenailer
09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
there was a good write up in handloader or rifle on the 38/55 and cast bullets some years ago. bob

fa38
09-21-2007, 03:34 PM
I received the mould the other day and cast about a hundred bullets with it.

The base band measures .384 next band .383, next band .382, .380, .378, .375 and the top band .374.
The base band is about .131 thick the other bands are about .082 each.
It works through my Marlin with crimping in either the crimp groove or the first grease groove.

A friend of mine gave me a bullet from his SAECO 738 mould that is
the 253 grains. All the bands measure the .082 so it looks like when
they make that mould they just withold the 571 bullet cherry by the baseband and
the first grease groove.
fa38