PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 Rebounding Hammer Fix

AnthonyB
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
My BB94 has the rebounding hammer and crossbolt safety. I didn't particularly like either feature because the lever stroke has a "hitch" when the already moving bolt hits the hammer and the safety could be applied accidentally. I was also getting occasional misfires that I blamed on the rebounding feature limiting the force of the hammer hitting the firing pin. Dave Scovill had an article in Rifle a few years ago about how to fix this on the 1886 rifles, and I decided to try it on the 94. The mechanisms are completely different, but the principle remains the same - eliminate enough of the "rebound leg" on the hammer spring strut to make the hammer resting position closer to but not touching the firing pin. After many trials I THINK I made a vast improvement. I now have to draw the hammer back very slightly in order to engage the safety, and the lever stroke feels much smoother.
The safety is still functional, and the rifle feels much better when worked from the shoulder. I hope it made a difference on the light firing pin hits but haven't been to the range yet. Tony

snowtigger
09-15-2007, 12:17 PM
I fixed mine by converting it to the pre-rebounding configuration. I got rid of the cross-bolt safety.
I cut the head off a .45colt case and epoxied into the recess where the safety was located. These Winnies got along just fine with the half-cock safety for almost a century. Bleepin' lawyers...
PS; I don't know how to post pictures, but so far, everyone likes the filler in the safety recess.
Winnie '94 Trapper, in .45Colt

nicholst55
09-17-2007, 06:16 PM
There is an article located on the Lever Guns forum about how to retro-fit the non-rebounding hammer and related parts to your newer gun. Not terribly difficult, once you locate the replacement parts.

http://www.leverguns.com/Default.htm

Old Ironsights
09-17-2007, 09:43 PM
The Leverguns Forum is in Server Meltdown Mode and is currently being hosted at another site. (http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/leverguns/viewforum.php?f=1)

Go there and Email Hobie. He can (maybe) connect you with the archived article.

KCSO
09-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Your biggest problem here is not the misfires, but inconsistant primer hit. This tends to string yor groups. I have yet to see an 1886 that would shoot a round group with the rebounding hammer. They all are oval with stringing. I have no experience with the 94's other than retrofitting them and erasing the safety holes. As long as I can buy a good old one for about the same as a s#i!!y new one i'll stick with the old ones.