PDA

View Full Version : 44-60 new model

bigted
05-13-2013, 02:00 AM
so took my 44 out with 60 grains cartridge loaded behind a 325 grain boolit lubed with SPG and a .060 veggie wad from Walters and crimped in the crimp groove. shouldered it and let fly the first round and all was extremely agreeable.

rifle is my marlin 444 shorty. I cut the offending holes off the muzzle and dressed the crown. now I have a 16 1/2 inch 44 cal rifle with a straight walled case that will hold 60 grains of compressed powder under the boolit and when the trigger is yanked it belch's smoke and sparks as well as spits out a boolit at an apparent rite smart pace...[haven't cronnyed it yet]...but it is tall on fun.

this will produce enough fun that it will require more research...YEP way more research...and the marlin lever is just a sweet rifle to house it all in. I've had this rifle for years and have just remembered it for the fun rifle it is.

anybody else found the fun factor in a 444 marlin stuffed with bp ?...:roll:...[smilie=1:...:-D.......8-)

Hiwall55
05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a HOOt,don't know why it shouldn't work...

bigted
05-25-2013, 11:47 AM
guess nobody else likes the lil ol 444 case and rifle huh? I gotta say that the 45-70 will do everything the 444 will plus some.

however for the folks that have a 444 hiding around...bring it out and cast some 300 to 350 grain boolits for it ...[heck load it with 240's as well]... and charge it up with 60 grains powder and let fly. after firing you will forget that the 444 was a late development and just keep shooting the fun rifle without the nose bleeds accompanying the other cases that hold much more powder...and heavier boolits.