PDA

View Full Version : SxS 45 Colt Project.

RWE
05-12-2013, 09:10 PM
A while ago, I posted for some advice on some project work regarding a 30-30 SxS project, a future add on to another project I was finishing.

Well that was some time ago, and I finally finished it.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/jlcpls/guns/DSCF1092.jpg

45 Colt, built on a 16ga Serbian Zastava SxS shotgun frame.

Barrels were stainless steel originally made for the 45 Wildey magnum with a 14 twist.

The shotgun barrels were cut from the monobloc, and I had a friend/gunsmith tap the block and thread the barrels to fit. Barrels were faced, and extractor cut, and then chambered.

Everything else was done by hand. Barrels were draw filed on a partial octagon profile (the interior circumferences were left round since they wouldn't be seen - this turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE on my part because the barrels eventually "warped" outward.

This required me the essentially fix the muzzles together by drilling and tapping the barrels for 8-40 screws, top and bottom, and steel plates affixed at the ends at the same distance between the bores as it was at the chamber.

The warp issue actually had the barrels closer together about 6 " back from the muzzle.

Think of it like the barrels were like this: )(

A spacer was placed between the barrels and it served to spread the barrels apart. Essentially, with the chambers fixed and the muzzle fixed, I slid the spacer forward until the shots regulated.

I am drastically oversimplifying this, as the process included multiple attempts to solder the front plates (not easy on stainless which is why I ultimately resulted to fixing them in place with solder and the 8-40 screws), as well as multiple sizes of spacers used to get the regulation to occur and shims to get the horizontal plane of shooting near acceptable as well.

The quarter rib is all brass (easier to shape) and it was made to span the 2.5" of the monobloc as well as a fair amount of the barrels.

A 60* dovetail was cut for a wedge that serves as the rear sight. The front sight is a spare rifle barrel fixed blade I had lying around and modified to sit flat on the plate at the muzzle.

The gun weighs in at 9lb 12 ounces, and fires a 280 gr .452 SAA ( cast from an RCBS 270-SAA from straight wheel weights), using 8.0gr of Unique. MV is approx 1,100 fps.

Recoil is negligible, but the downrange performance will put the bullet through a fence post.

The gun groups about 2" vertical at 50 yards.

I do have the the 30-30 barrels together as well, and will likely finish those this summer, but if I had to do it again, I'll definitely seek out the use of a mill.

tomme boy
05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Sounds nice. Do you have any other pictures?

RWE
05-13-2013, 10:32 AM
I've yet to take any detail pics, and I wish I would have taken a lot more during the build process, but the longer it laid around, the more energy I devoted to just getting it to work and finished.

I am far from being a master craftsman, this was more of a "just because" type of project, so pretty it is not.

Functional, it is. Solid, it is.

Over time, I may elect to clean up some seams, lines, etc to make it look a little more appealing, but I'm content to know I can hit a hog adequately, probably out to a 100, if need be.

Here's another shot- and it's a perspective issue, the front doesn't really look like an old howitzer.

Much.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/jlcpls/guns/DSCF1088.jpg (http://s108.photobucket.com/user/jlcpls/media/guns/DSCF1088.jpg.html)