km101
05-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Great appetizer recipe on the grill!

Ingredients:

6 - med. jalapeno peppers

2 - boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 - 8oz pkg of Cream Cheese

1 lb. bacon, thick sliced

12 - wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 1/2 hr. to prevent burning.

Preparation:
Latex gloves are recommended for handling the Jalapenos!
Slice peppers in half lengthwise. Remove stems, seeds and the white ribs on the inside of peppers if desired. Removing the ribs will decrease the heat of the peppers. To further decrease heat of peppers, soak in cold water for 1/2 hr after slicing.

Let the cream cheese come to room temperature for easy spreading.

Slice the chicken breasts in small strips that will fit into peppers. (you can substitute pork loin or other meat if desired)

Assembly:

Place a strip of chicken into each pepper half. Spread with cream cheese to cover. Wrap the combination with a slice of bacon and secure bacon with a toothpick. (Optional: dust lightly with BBQ seasoning or chili powder)

Cook on medium heat grill for 20-25 min. or until the meat is done, turning frequently to ensure even cooking. Cook away from open flame on grill to prevent flare-ups from burning the bacon. If cooked in the oven, place on a wire rack on a cookie sheet to catch bacon drippings.

Great appetizer with your favorite adult beverage! Figure at least 2 per person, more if most of the group is men! Great way to start the party or cook-out! :drinks:

crabo
05-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a "must try" to me. Thanks!

williamwaco
05-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Got my mouth watering!

jaysouth
05-12-2013, 11:00 PM
With adult beverages, you have just covered four of the basic food groups:

1. butterfat (cream cheese)

2. Vegetables (jalapenos)

3. Bacon....bacon is THE major food group

4. Alcohol....2d most important food group.

However, with the bunch that I hunt, fish and tell lies with, I would plan 8-10 per person.

DHurtig
05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
I usually mix sausage with cheddar and cream cheese for the filling. I then put in an egg wash and coat with bread crumbs. I've played with other ingredients too, but I don't think that there is a bad way to make poppers. Dale

km101
05-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Dale.....I have used venison back strap, Javalina, dove breasts, smoked brisket, etc. and you are right! There is no bad way to make them. That's one of the great things about them, they come out good with most any ingredients!

sundog
05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Or, fixed this way (or any of a variation). Armadillo eggs (http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2011/02/armadillo-eggs-recipe-jalapeno.html). Mmmmmmmm.... Wash down with a cold Lone Star long neck..., or three or seven.

KCSO
05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Nothing you have to handle with rubber gloves goes in my mouth! Come on ice cream! But my daughter will love these.

km101
05-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Nothing you have to handle with rubber gloves goes in my mouth! Come on ice cream! But my daughter will love these.

The rubber gloves are necessary while you are assembling them, so you wont get "lit up" later if you touch your nose or rub your eyes! But they are not hot at all if you soak the peppers in water for about a half hour after you cut them up. Try it, it really works!

km101
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Or, fixed this way (or any of a variation). Armadillo eggs (http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2011/02/armadillo-eggs-recipe-jalapeno.html). Mmmmmmmm.... Wash down with a cold Lone Star long neck..., or three or seven.

Sundog, I have made the version where you stuff the peppers with cheddar cheese and cover them with breakfast sausage (or venison sausage) and bake in the oven! They will make you slap a sirloin steak!