PDA

View Full Version : A new way to size

Lead melter
09-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey,

I logged in earlier and composed the best piece of creative writing ever, but then was told I could not post since I had not logged in. What gives? Maybe some computer guru can get the gremlins out. Oh well, here goes.

I had some trouble with gas checks seating crookedly while using my Lee sizer die. Since the boolit is a flat nose, I figured why not try to seat them inverted...check first instead of check last as is the norm.
This seemed to work just fine, maybe better, since the boolits did not have a dent in the center of the gas checks. I guess the proof will be in the shooting I plan to do on the morrow. Will update ASAP.
Does anyone foresee any problems with this method, or has anyone tried this before? Just groping for opinions.

"Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

[smilie=b:

scrapcan
09-12-2007, 05:33 PM
This is the way that old ideal/lyman push thru sizers worked. One problem is if you are using a soft alloy you can bump the nose and change the dimensions. Another problem is getting a top punch that fits non flat nose bullets.

As you said though, the proof is in the shooting.

NVcurmudgeon
09-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Leadmelter, if I type a post that takes me a long time to type, I get told that I am not logged in or not authorized to post, even though I know very well that I am logged in. What I then have to do is log in again, using the space provided AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ERROR MESSAGE, NOT THE ONE IN THE RIGHT UPPER CORNER OF THE ERROR MESSAGE. Ken has patiently and repeatedly instructed me in how to fix this situation, but I am such a computer ignoramus I can't understand, so the beat goes on. It has become second nature for me to relog in as explained above. I find relogging in to be much less agravating than going into "computer rage."

MtJerry
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I use my bench vise for slipping gas checks on my 429244 boolits. Flat point is a plus when doing this.

Tom W.
09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
It will work just fine. I've done it for years with my Lee sizers for my .44 and
30/30.

454PB
09-13-2007, 12:25 AM
If the sizer is actually doing some sizing (fairly tight fit), I bump the boolit base and gas check slightly with the punch, then push it through. That bumping action will seat the gas check squarely everytime. The same method works when using my Star sizer.

Lead melter
09-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks fellas,
I suppose we'll see what happens today. I plan on shooting them at my local gun range..another good reason to attend their Thursday lunch gathering. Nice touch, huh?
NVcurmudgeon, please accept my apology. I did not mean to sound as if I were complaining. No insult intended.

"Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

[smilie=b:

Lead melter
09-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Bama,

Just like you said, no problems. One interesting thing, though...I cast and loaded the boolits exactly the same with the exception of the gas check brand. Hornady checks gave horizontal dispersion, while Gator checks dispersed vertically. Anyone ever seen anything like this?