PDA

View Full Version : My small setup for casting

WVHunter129
05-11-2013, 06:51 PM
This is my setup. Small and simple, but man I wish I had a turkey frier base so I could use propane instead of Coleman fuel. I was smelting down wheel weights, but man it is hard to get a bucket of all lead wheel weights. Out of about a 1/4 bucket, about a 1/3 of it was steel. Of course I still have the rest of the bucket to go thru. The other pictures are of my small setup for casting bullets. As you can see I do all of my smelting and casting outside. It is a pain cause I have to depend on good weather to do it.

zidave
05-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Nice setup. Similar to mine except I need a casting pot

Dan Cash
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
You have your set up well thought out. When you can handle the investment, a 2 burner propane stove from Sportsman's Guide or Northern Hydraulics for about $35.00, a gas bottle and a regulator with hose would make a handy substitute for the Coleman. The propane stove is not as vigorous as a turkey fryer but it will handle the pot in the picture as well as your casting needs. Mine sits on one of those small 4 foot scaffold set ups on castors. Roll it where ever you want it, bottom shelf for storage.

Catshooter
05-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Very nice.

It's not the set up, it's the operator. What you've got looks good to me, especially since it's working.

One thing of note, the Coleman stove does have a bit of a weight limit. A one gallon cast iron pot will hold ninety to a hundred pounds of lead and is almost guaranteed to collapse the stove. Just watch the weight.

Welcome to the site too.

Cat

05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Look for a used turkey fryer on Craigslist, that's where I found mine cheap. You still have a nice setup though.

Vinne
05-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Very nice.

It's not the set up, it's the operator. What you've got looks good to me, especially since it's working.

One thing of note, the Coleman stove does have a bit of a weight limit. A one gallon cast iron pot will hold ninety to a hundred pounds of lead and is almost guaranteed to collapse the stove. Just watch the weight.

Welcome to the site too.

Cat

That reminds me of the time I set up my first cast many many many years ago. I set up a table in the back yard ready for a day of casting. I had the 20# pot full of WW, a bowl full of more WW, the mold, pad and was ready to go. Everything was going along just fine...the melt was skimmed and fluxed then the unexpected happen. One table leg began to sink in the lawn. It looked like slow motion as the table started to tilt and the only thing I could think to do was grab the corner of the table and hold on. Well there I was holding the table with one hand and trying to save the lead with the other. Then another unthinkable thing happen, as thinks like that tend to do, another table leg began to sink on the other side. Well I figured it was time to abandon ship. As I let go of the table and jumped back the table broke and down came everything. The losses were great...a broken table, a lead covered lawn, a bruised ego and a lesson learned. I knew then that the next time I cast will be with a solid platform on a solid base because it could have been me covered in lead!!

USMC87
05-13-2013, 11:13 PM
WVhunter129, I run into the same problem sorting WW, The big boys say we don't need WW so they changed it over to steel and zinc. I'm looking for a turkey fryer also, I guess I'll have to hit the flea markets and yard sales.