PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army - need help

john hayslip
05-11-2013, 01:06 PM
I bought a used one. I found out the nipples are 3/16 and found a six point one in a 1/4 in drive socket that got the last two loose - a 12 point socket I had wouldn't work as these two had been slightly rounded off in my and/or the original owners attempts to get them loose. I think I've misplaced one nipple that I should be able to find but I'd like to buy 6 new ones. Anyone know a source for the nipples and a good wrench? Dixie Midway and Brownell's catalogs don't seem to have them.

Gray Fox
05-11-2013, 01:35 PM
I would suggest Track of the Wolf. They have just about everything relating to BP shooting. GF

Nobade
05-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Yep, Track has the proper nipples and usually a regular nut driver will remove them. If yours are chewed up too bad you might have to drill them out and use an ez-out on them.

-Nobade

John Allen
05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Before you go messing them up some more let them soak for a couple of days with kroil. I just had a champion wall mount blacksmith drill that was locked up tight and would not turn. I soaked all the moving parts with kroil. One week later it spins like new and I did not have to do anything other than wait.

Tatume
05-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Nipple, 12-28 thread, for Ruger Old Army revolver, #11 CCI cap, stainless steel, for Ruger hex socket or Track's #NW-130 wrench

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/64/2/PRA-S

Fourth one down.

Take care, Tom

uscra112
05-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Treat the new ones to a coat of Never-Sieze before you install them.

44man
05-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Yes, every nipple on any gun should have anti seize applied.
The Ruger came with a wrench. Get one from Track that fits.

TXSlade
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes, every nipple on any gun should have anti seize applied.
The Ruger came with a wrench. Get one from Track that fits.

Can you recommend an anti-seize? I am installing some barrels and would like to get some high quality product.

John Boy
05-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Anti-seize ... Permatex at the auto store
And to loosen those 'frozen' nipples ... a 50:50 mix of ATF:Acetone. Shake well before using. A good example how well it works in addition to freeing rusted bolts ... take a look at the screw on decapping pin in your full length sizing die. Not cleaning it, the threads will be frozen from the foul. Dab some of the mix on the screw cap, let it soak for a minute or so, twist with a pair of pliers and see how fast it loosens

44man
05-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I have pint cans of both copper based and moly. I like the copper stuff. It is the thing to use on spark plugs in aluminum engines too.

john hayslip
05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Thanks to every one! The 3/16" 6 sided socket I got at the pawn shop worked to get them out - I'd soaked them with Kroil for a few days before trying. They are pretty well banged up and I'll get a new set and put antiseize on them before installation. That is my standard practice too. I'll go check Track - I should have done that first.

44man
05-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Wonderful. You will love the gun.

TenTea
05-13-2013, 04:39 PM
FYI: Dorn Hardware in Oregon, WI has a BP clearance box with NOS, 20 year old Uncle Mikes, ROA nipple sets of 6 for $4.99. I just bought 4 sets for a friend last week and there are still more in the box. I knew I shoulda bought em all!

missionary5155
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Greetings
Couple years back a kind member here suggested anti-seize on a screw before returning it to it's threaded hole. Since then, I figured a pint bottle has lots in it so why not use it on as many applications as I would never want to have to "work at" to remove. No regrets especially where corrosion may be waiting in a dark crevice some where to raise it's rusty head and strike.
And never forget those screw in chokes.
Mike in Peru

theperfessor
05-13-2013, 08:15 PM
As soon as I get an indexable carbide tool holder I take all the screws out of it and put silver grade anti-sieze on the threads. Even when they get real hot they still turn easily when I have to change inserts.

I also put it on the screws in my molds.

uscra112
05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
And lug nuts !

Tatume
05-14-2013, 06:43 AM
And lug nuts !

The shop manual for my 1999 F250 specifically says to not put anti-seize or grease on the studs or lug nuts. It will reduce the friction when applying torque and result in over-tightening the nuts, thereby possibly warping the rims and brake disks.

Take care, Tom

winelover
05-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Never ever on lug nut's, unless you want a wheel to fly off!

Winelover

cbrick
05-14-2013, 07:45 AM
put silver grade anti-sieze on the threads. Even when they get real hot they still turn easily when I have to change inserts.

I also put it on the screws in my molds.

Yep, me too!

Rick

Dark Helmet
05-14-2013, 12:10 PM
OT, but I use the antiseize on every fastener on lawnmower decks the first time I have to remove and reassemble them. It makes the future less complicated.