PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever Drive The Cabover Isuzu or Mitsubishi Truck?

Linstrum
09-12-2007, 06:25 AM
I need a truck quite a bit bigger than a full size standard pickup truck and I’m seriously thinking about getting either the Isuzu NPR or Mitsubishi FG model of truck. Those are cab-over trucks and from the time when I had a Volkswagen Microbus and Ford Econoline van I developed quite an appreciation for the excellent road and driving visibility plus the maneuverability that comes with that design of driver’s compartment. The Isuzu NPR comes with a 205 horsepower turbocharged diesel and six speed automatic transmission while the Mitsubishi FG is a factory four wheel drive model that comes with a 150 horsepower turbocharged diesel with five speed manual transmission and a two speed transfer case for the four wheel drive. The Isuzu has four wheel drive available as an aftermarket option.

Back about 40 years ago I had a 1954 Chevrolet model 4400 1-1/2-ton flatbed truck that I used for hauling my Ford 8N skip loader and pulling a trailer to carry my Caterpillar D2 dozer. I have similar needs again now, this time I have a Kubota L3400 skip loader, a Caterpillar D4D dozer, and a 30-inch capacity Hud-Son portable sawmill. I would like to get a truck to do double or triple duty as a dump truck, skip loader and sawmill carrier, tow the trailer with my Caterpillar D4D dozer, and on top of those duties also carry around my great big camper so I can go shooting in comfort out in the boonies.

If anyone has ever driven either the Isuzu NPR or Mitsubishi FG I’d like to hear what they are like, especially the Mitsubishi FG since whatever I get is going to be four wheel drive.

Bret4207
09-12-2007, 09:15 AM
Dorve an Isuzu CO in Okinawa back in the early 80's. Right hand drive, 5 speed on the tree, long, long flat bed. Great truck. Thats all I gots....

sturf
09-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Bought an Isuzu G M C Forward 4000 in 1987. Use it for business. 187000 miles and still using it every day. Been a great truck. Just replaced the breaks first time last winter.

Old Ironsights
09-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Drove a CabOver Isuzu box truck to deliver Pies between Spokane WA and Sandpoint ID. I wasn't responsible for maintenance, but it drove well and didn't lug up & down the mountains...

armoredman
09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Drove an NPR with box and liquid oxygen tank for a few years when working as an O2 delivery man. Good truck - change the radiator cap, though. That was the only thing I ever had a problem with - blew off in the mountains,and the temp gauge froze at the same time, showed the rig running fine whilst it was busy welding the cylinders to the piston walls. $6000 and a boss screaming fit later, all was fine.
I blew a tire going over a busy downtown bridge, could hear it, figured it was one of the dualies. Nope, I blew a FRONT tire, and the truck never even twitched, much less lost control. That was nice.
I put 200 miles on that rig every day. Good truck, goofy, but good. Wish he'd put in an FM radio though...AM 10 hours a day about drove me nuts.

Linstrum
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Alright! Thanks, guys, it sounds like I am headed the right direction with the Isuzu.

There is an Isuzu and Mitsubishi truck dealer near here but I need to find out the best location to get the truck because the sales tax and licensing will be a lot.

9.3X62AL
09-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I've rented Isuzu NPR vans several times for work and for moving, and the visibility is SUPERB. The only real complaint I have is that sitting right over the steering axle will jar the jockey shorts off a dinosaur. If you could get an air-ride seat of some kind, I suggest adding it on.

Old Ironsights
09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Same goes for the old Combis & later Vanagons. Loved sitting high and forward. Hated the vibe.

The Isuzu I drove in WA had an aftermarket Gas seat.