PDA

View Full Version : Winchester WAA12R wads

silverman1
05-11-2013, 10:35 AM
I ran across a retired FFL dealer,who has a garage full of stuff yet.
He has a Case of WAA12R wads Winchester brand,the ones the 525gr sabot slug fits so nice into.
BUT,he wants $20.00 per bag of 250 (and there are still$4.99 stickers on the bag)
I mentioned the $4.99 stickers,and he just said,''Try and find them anyplace else''
What would you feel is a fair price for these?
I allready offered $10.00 per bag,and he turned me down. That is allready a $7.00 profit per bag!
What is everyone else paying?

longbow
05-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I haven't bought the Win AA reds in a long time but also, i find them to be substandard fro slug shooting so don't use them anymore.

In fairness, I have not used them for Lyman sabot slugs so can't comment there but I find that for round ball loads and other wad slug loads, they do not hold up as well as other wads. I find them to be "soft" and with fragile gas seals that seem to blow easily. I find a lot of petal damage and gas seal damage in recovered wads.

I would check on wads VDOmemorie (Ajay) uses and follow his advice before paying exorbitant prices for those Win AA reds. If they are the ticket and you want them then he can charge what he wants. I would search for a substitute though. I'm cheap.

Longbow

SuperBlazingSabots
05-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Hello SilverMan and Brother LongBow, I have been on the look out for those wads to test but could not get my hands on then,
but paying $20 for a bag of wads that use to cost $4.99 is like throwing money out of the window and not even looking who is picking them!

We do not want to encourage such vendors as there will be no limit.
Tell him " You can live with them the rest of your life" Do not mention who he is or else some one will offer $20 plus 12 shipping and turn him into a crook!
Offer him $8 plus actual shipping which is going to be more too like $12 for one bag, still a big rip off!
Here are some of your choices:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Lyman525inwads.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Dantebeowulf/media/Lyman525inwads.jpg.html)
please note in each wad I have a .125 nitro card below slug.
Choose powders that will give you a good crimp index based on the hull.

"No man is a failure who is enjoying life at the range."- Blazing Sabots

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl

longbow
05-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I see a couple of Winchester wads in there Ajay. I find that most of the newer (I think) Winchester wads are tougher and a bit thinner than the Win AA reds. If someone wants a snugger fit then one of the other (white, yellow or pink) Winchester wads or Claybusters can be used with a wrap of mylar Teflon or paper inside so "snug" up the slug fit if required.

Ajay: If you want some Win AA reds to test I have some I can mail you. Not a bunch but maybe a couple of dozen left. Let me know if you want them.

Longbow

phaessler
05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
The Winchester WAA12R's have been out of production for at least 5 years now, maybe more......

Hogtamer
05-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Ajay, if you are needing the short red Winchester wads for 1 1/2 oz shot loads, pm me your mailing address and I'll get you some in the mail Monday morning. I've got some left from the 80's, like me a little age on them but still productive!

Versalius
05-12-2013, 01:22 AM
$20/250 is just plain gouging. I tried the Lyman slugs in 'em and didn't have good results.

Yeah without hot glue or a thick nitro card underneath the slug, the WAA12R will deform quite a bit, it gets shoved into the hollow base.

longbow
05-12-2013, 10:40 AM
The Win AA reds did work better for me with good support under the ball or slug but I still found lots with petal damage. The Claybusters and other tougher wads have definitely worked better for me.

OnHoPr
05-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Those sticker prices for those particular wads are probably from over a decade ago. Those particular wads are not in production anymore. I don't think that purchasing those particular wads are for testing. But, if you had a good load for your firearm for whatever load, buckshot, slug, birdshot, or steel, then by all means purchase them. It would save time and money looking for another load. Especially if the shooter was more confident in the field with his own trusted load. I myself have paid near $15 plus shipping for a 100 bag of BPI wads just for testing.

silverman1
05-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Even though,during testing with these WAA12R wads,recovered wads ,had the petals ,folded back,or ripped off totally.
But,of the 4 types of wads tested,They gave the best accuracy I have a homemade tac shotgun,and it has a 4 rows of holes,for a compensator,and a flash suppressor built in ,which could contribute to the petal problem.
I have a red/green dot sight on it,and @ 100 yds,could hit 4 of 5 clay birds,laying on a hill.
I hate paying that price,but if I use claybusters replacements,it leaves a bulge in the loaded shell,and they will not feed in my 1100 semi -auto,and if I put a 1/2 of a card wad in the claybusters cup to prevent it,then the hull is too long,and will not crimp.