PDA

View Full Version : 00 Buck loads ?

silverman1
05-11-2013, 10:00 AM
The Lyman manual only gives a SR7625, and 4756 loads for AA hulls ,Win 209 primer,and WAA12R wad.
Around here,IF you can find a pound,they want $28.00 to 32.00 per # for it.
I allready have 8# of Promo (Red Dot) powder.
Nine 00 buck pellets weigh 1-1/8 oz,and ten weigh 1-1/4 oz.
Is there any reason I cannot use a Standard AA hull load,WAA 12 white wad,and substitute 00 pellets for bird shot ?
If I use say 7625,I would allready have 14 cents per shot ,in just the powder,and I reload to save Money.
I have only loaded 12 ga. app 10 yrs,after 12 ga went over 1.99 per box,at our local hardware.
But when looking through the lyman manual,I noticed that even changing brands of primer,with
an AA load,can raise chamber pressure 5000 PSI,so I am very leery about just guessing on loads.

SuperBlazingSabots
05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Hello SilverMan, see this post if it can help you:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?139560-Faster-Buckshot-loads!&highlight=

"No man is a failure who is enjoying life at the range."- Blazing Sabots

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl

silverman1
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
That is for Remington blue hulls,not for Win AA hulls,so it still does not help,but thanks for trying

longbow
05-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I may have some load recipes in the BPI Buckshot Reloading manual. I will take a look later, got stuff to do this morning.

As far as substitution goes, as long as you have equal weight and similar wad (gas seal) you should be fine as long as powder charge and all of the other components match the recipe. As for pressure increases, my take is that for a given powder charge, the biggest changes result from primer or hull substitutions. Wads may affect pressure some especially if a hard or no cushion leg wad is substituted for a soft cushion leg wad but I don't think it would be a problem unless you were running right to max load.

Also, from what I read in the loading manuals, it seems that faster powders are more affected by wad substitutions than slower powders.

My opinion only and you are correct to ask and be cautious. Only pressure testing equipment will answer the question for sure.

Oddly, while Win AA hulls are not intended for buckshot or slugs (and I was advised to buy Fiocchi hulls for buckshot and slugs), there are a lot of recipes for buckshot and slugs in Win AA hulls ~ way more than for Fiocchi!

I will see what I can find later then post any useful info.

Longbow

pipehand
05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
"Is there any reason I cannot use a Standard AA hull load,WAA 12 white wad,and substitute 00 pellets for bird shot ?"

Yes, true OO buck at .330" won't stack in the WAA12 wads in Winchester AA hulls. "O" buck at .32" and
.311" round balls work in the WAA12 white wads with trap loadings of Red Dot and others.

In order to fit OO Buck stacked 3 to a layer, you could cut the petals off your wads. I prefer the .311" cast balls in the WAA wad to keep the pellets off the bore. Cast of wheelweights and water dropped, they pattern much better than the cheap unplated and unbuffered Winchester OO buck that's commonly available in Wal-Mart.

longbow
05-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Well, I looked in the BPI buckshot Reloading manual and didn't come up with much of any use.

Pipehand brings up a good point with cutting the petals of a wad. The BPI manual mostly shows just a gas seal then cork wads and buckshot ~ no shotcups. There is not a lot of room for 00 buck in most shotcups.

I think ideally you would get three pellets in a layer so they stack nicely, don't deform too badly and don't press out on the bore too much. This would most likely require that you cut petals of a shotcup or use only the gas seal and make up a card wad column. With faster powders and no cushion leg I would want to be sure this would not cause a pressure spike so a pressure tested recipe would be in order.

You might get away with stacking two pellets in a layer using the shotcup then have a 1 oz. load but again, you may need a short cushion leg to accommodate the height.

Sorry, i guess not a lot of help.

Longbow

Hogtamer
05-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I've tried almost every combo you can imagine and some you cannot! The BEST load I've produced has been 8 - 00 in a multimetal wad from BPI over a standard 1 1/8 oz load. I got as many as 15 pellets once in a 2 3/4 " hull but the only thing that counts is how many are on paper. At 50 yds with my 8 pellet load I got 4 in a 12 " circle, all in. 16 " circle with only moderate recoil. The wad was VP-65 and the powder was Clays. I used buffer in the wad with a 16 ga. Overshot card.

silverman1
05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been using the WAA12R in a AA hull,with 7625,and stack 2 per row,and the 9th sits on top,and am using PVC sawdust,as a filler,so the crimp does no fold in.
The recovered wads are screwed up some,but do not look too bad.
I get 4 of 9 are on a 8'' paper plate at 25 yds,good enough for me.

centershot
05-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Interesting thread! I've spent the better part of the last several days casting up 20 pounds of .330" round balls with a single cavity mold (LOL!) with the intention of loading them in 12 ga. buckshot loads. I found a 1-1/4 oz shot load in the Lyman shotgun manual using a AA hull, 24 gr. of Unique, SP12 wad and ww 209 primer. I don't have any SP12's but do have RP12's, the only difference I see is that the SP12 shotcup is slit only halfway and the RP12 is slit all the way down. OAL and leg section look the same. The listed velocity is 1270 fps, good enough for red squirrels, yes? (LOL!) Substituting the wad shouldn't be a problem? The shot is stacked in pairs and is contained within the shotcup. Should I add a filler to fill the voids between the pellets? Range trip will have to wait a couple days, freezing rain and snow tomorrow!

Hogtamer
05-12-2013, 08:32 PM
See what your gun does with them!

Teddy (punchie)
05-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Yes please keep us updated, posting the loads for these. I'm just getting started on loading buck shot.

I'm in a bit of a better spot. I started loading and learned to save every hull, I had and loaded every type I could find. That being said I'll look over all of my manuals in the next few days and get back to the post with any and all loads. Some of the wads you all listed are not in production any longer. I have most and have to see if I can let any go.