PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Primer Pockets

icor1031
05-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Is there any way to clean my primer pockets without having to clean them by hand one at a time?

Some tumbler media, or soaking them in a chemical perhaps?

Thanks.

Daddyfixit
05-11-2013, 02:40 AM
If you feel a need to clean the primer pocket ( I don't or seldom do ) I suggest getting a de-primer die the LEE one is inexpensive. De-prime then run in tumbler with media of choice ( I use corn cob from here )
http://www.drillspot.com/machining/finishing-supplies/pneumatic-blasting-media/ )
That's what I do with Military .223 brass before I swag the crimp out.

The pockets will be clean.
Use fine media so it won't plug up the primer hole.
Now we'll hear from all the members with other media choices!!:veryconfu

icor1031
05-11-2013, 02:43 AM
Okay, I should be good then with what I have now.

Thanks!

rainyday
05-11-2013, 03:29 AM
I deprime my brass, throw in to a barrel tumbler with steel shot,1/3 cup of cheap dish soap and fill to just above the brass with water. the primer holes will be 90 percent or better for clean

blikseme300
05-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Stainless tumbling media. There are a number of threads about this on this board.

dragon813gt
05-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Ultrasonics will clean the pockets as well.

Duckiller
05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
I clean primer pockets with a small flat screw driver. I inspect the brass at the same time. I know you wanted to clean primer pockets fast ,but when do you inspect your brass?

shooter93
05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I clean the pockets every reload. I use an RCBS case prep center but any one of them will work. It's electric and takes very little time to clean a bunch of them.

handyman25
05-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I use a Lee primer pocket cleaner chucked up in a drill press set on slow speed. I grab a few cases in each hand and go to it. I can do 40+ per minute which equals 2400 per hour. More than I need. I picked the bench drill press up at a yard sale for $10.[smilie=w:

sirgknight
05-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Another great place to buy media is www.zorotools.com. Media is less expensive and shipping is extremely reasonable. It's now my go-to place for my media.

375supermag
05-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I have been using an RCBS case prep center for years to clean primer pockets. A lttle tedious but if I can carve out an evening I can clean and inspect approximately 500 or so cases at one time.

I have tried washing de-primed/re-sized cases in boiling water, lemon juice and Dawn dishwashing liquid. It works pretty well for making bright shiny cases and clean primer pockets.

I tried to get my wife to do it for me...she indicated that she had better things to do with her time. Something about re-arranging her sock drawer...

I really don't understand her some days...she says we need to do more things together and then when I find something we can do together, she doesn't want to do it.

She won't clean squirrels, either. Women!

plinky56
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Been using a primer pocket tool for 30 years, and it's an extra step, but really does'nt take that much longer to even worry about it. I tumble with the primers still in. If you tumlbe after deprimed, you have to clean the hole anyway....

EDG
05-13-2013, 11:00 AM
The current mix of priming compound in Remington primers is much easier to remove than any other primer residue. When I fire my rifle ammo I immediately deprime it with a Lee hand punch. The Remington primer residue will come out with very little effort often just falling out as 2 or 3 large flakes.

r1kk1
05-13-2013, 11:24 AM
I use a K&M uniformer on each case when I decap. This is on a cordless drill. Amazing what material it will remove even cases loaded more times than I can remember. Then into the tumbler it goes. A side benefit are that primers seat with equal effort and minimal fuss. Not a high primer to be seen when seated. I do measure cases for length when using a full length sizer or not. A couple of extra steps I know, but I do get consistent results, in my experience.

Take care

r1kk1

mdi
05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
I clean primer pockets with a small flat screw driver. I inspect the brass at the same time. I know you wanted to clean primer pockets fast ,but when do you inspect your brass?
I agree. I don't feel comfortable not examining each case I reload/shoot...