PDA

View Full Version : The other white meat

RugerFan
08-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I finally slew big game with a pistol. Got a double on young hogs in south east Georgia the other day (I really love being able to hunt year round).

Ruger SBHH .41 mag
240 gn Keith (Mountain Molds)
19.0 gn 2400

I love this combination. Very accurate and pleasant recoil (the added weight of the scope helps). Hope to try it out on deer this fall too.

Scrounger
08-11-2005, 04:23 PM
CarpetMan prefers this 'white meat'.
http://photos.gunloads.com/images/Scrounger/237969.jpg
He insists it makes the best jerky he ever sold.

45 2.1
08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
RugerFan-

Nice first kills with the SBHH. My first kill with the 41 mag SBHH was a nice 180 lb. 8 pointer about1 1/2 years ago just after they came out. I'm using the magma bullet with WW 296 which will put a cylinder full into 2.25" at 100 yds. Good Luck with the deer this fall.

No_1
08-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the board. Nice pictures you have there. Congrats on your hunting and the .41 mag. It is good to see someone that lives somewhat CLOSE to me finally. I live in N.E. Florida. Maybe we can get together for some shooting or a hunt one day.
BTW, as you can see by my name, I am kind of a "ruger fan" myself.

I finally slew big game with a pistol. Got a double on young hogs in south east Georgia the other day (I really love being able to hunt year round).

Ruger SBHH .41 mag
240 gn Keith (Mountain Molds)
19.0 gn 2400

I love this combination. Very accurate and pleasant recoil (the added weight of the scope helps). Hope to try it out on deer this fall too.

RugerFan
08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
45 2.1
I haven't used 296 for quite some time and not at all with this pistol. I'll have to give it a try. 4227 works very well for me too. My 17 year old son has taken a liking to my plain jane blued .41 mag BH w/ 6 1/2" barrel and will probably carry it this fall as well.

RugerFan
08-12-2005, 12:52 PM
No 1
Actually I live in central Georgia (just north of Macon), but occassionally work takes me to Fort Stewart. When I'm down there I try to get in some hunting in my spare time (Last spring I got 3 turkeys). Not sure when I'll be there next. It looks like the next foray away from the office will be in Mississippi. How far do you live from Ft Stewart?

No_1
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
No 1
Actually I live in central Georgia (just north of Macon), but occassionally work takes me to Fort Stewart. When I'm down there I try to get in some hunting in my spare time (Last spring I got 3 turkeys). Not sure when I'll be there next. It looks like the next foray away from the office will be in Mississippi. How far do you live from Ft Stewart?

I live a hundred miles or so from there. It is really not that far. I pass the sign for it everytime I go up I-95 to Savanah or Charleston. It is really not that big a deal for me to go that way....

I live pretty close to the I-10 & I-95 junction. So either way to Ga. is not that far for me.

RugerFan
08-13-2005, 01:19 AM
no 1,
Yes, you do sound fairly close. The next time work takes me to Ft Stewart for any length of time, I'll drop you a line.

I probably won't be there this fall, but if you're adventurous, Ft Stewart is open to public hunting. With the entire 3rd Infantry Division deployed to Iraq until Dec, the hunting pressure is lighter than normal. Drop me an e-mail (wolf913a@aol.com) if you want more detailed info.

There is also a shooting range on post. It’s small, but adequate.

-Todd

No_1
08-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Good morning Todd,
I really am not that far for sure. I would like to find out about the hunting there.
I am a life member of a real sweet range within 10 miles of the house. It has public 15, 25 & 50 yards pistol ranges, 100 yard rifle and then for members only: 200 yard rifle range, 100 meter small bore range, another 100 yard .22 range, shotgun skeet range, and 6 other short ranges that are used for six-gun, silly-wet pratice and pistol plates. Once a year they have a chili cook-off that is combined with a members "garage sale" where I have picked up a lot of stuff including my #3 in 30-40 with a fixed power 12x scope. I almost got a 1895 in 30-40 that same day but was shy the $400 the guy wanted for it. Damn the luck....
If you ever want to come down this way let me know and I will host you there. I will try to get up to Ft Stewart and check out the scene soon. Let me know when/if you want to get together to shoot/hunt. Being single I can meet amost anytime.

Robert

no 1,
Yes, you do sound fairly close. The next time work takes me to Ft Stewart for any length of time, I'll drop you a line.

I probably won't be there this fall, but if you're adventurous, Ft Stewart is open to public hunting. With the entire 3rd Infantry Division deployed to Iraq until Dec, the hunting pressure is lighter than normal. Drop me an e-mail (wolf913a@aol.com) if you want more detailed info.

There is also a shooting range on post. It’s small, but adequate.

-Todd