PDA

View Full Version : NFA's in Anchorage Alaska... and others.

bgoff_ak
05-10-2013, 08:23 PM
So I just found out there is suposed to be a 150.00 tax for NFA items signoffs in Anchorage ( IE for CLEO to sign your form 1 / 4. ) I have a few NFA items but i have never paid this, my last signature was Dec 2012. any one know if they are really collecting this ? Also for you far away NFA'rs is your town taxing ?

As of February 1, 2011, the Anchorage Police Department will be charging a $150, non-refundable, processing fee for Class III applications as per AMC 8.100.020.
Anchorage Municipal Code 8.100.020:
Fee for processing federal firearms forms.
The chief of police or a designee whom is a sworn police officer employed full-time with the municipality shall, in accordance with state and federal law, execute federal firearms forms required to be submitted to the federal government by a person as a transferee of a firearm if the chief of police has no information indicating the receipt or possession of the firearm by the person would place the person in violation of state or local law or that the person will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes. The police department shall charge a fee of $150.00 to process such requests, and may require payment in advance.

starmac
05-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Are you trying to give me a reason to stay out of Los Anchorage. Okay,Okay it worked. lol

Sgtonory
05-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Start a Trust. Don't need a sighnoff then. Cost of most NFA trust's around sub $500.

bgoff_ak
05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
actually Mew has been really nice ( actually all of APD has been ) I was more just wonding becasue i've never paid the 150.00.

starmac.
I agree Los Anchorage sucks... were the big city of AK... could be worse we could be wasilla.

starmac
05-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Yea we think anchorage or wasilla sucks, but it only takes 10 minutes in any city outside to change my mind. lol

bgoff_ak
05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I know what you mean, last year I was in NJ headed back to AK and the TSA told me I could not have hollow points for my carry gun. ( it was separated and declared as per ASA/TSA ) and that hollow points were illegal, they got the local airport PD involved and after 10 min of going round and round ( mostly how stupid it was to allow only ball, and Alaska is better then NJ any day ) he said i can tell your not from around here enjoy your trip back to Alaska. Anchorage is the big city of the north, but I’m glad Canada gives us some padding from the crazies down state.

wlc
05-11-2013, 01:52 AM
I remember reading somewhere that the state passed a law that AK is now a "will sign" state regarding NFA. There has been "rumor" that APD can no longer charge a fee to sign off on forms. If I lived in ANC I'd go the trust route as I'd not be too happy having to go to an interview and pay someone just to sign a form. No first hand knowledge as I get the trooper post commander in Palmer to sign mine. Free of charge.

Your incident with the ammo would have been funny, except it hit close to home. I flew from Atlanta to ANC once and was going to fly a couple of boxes of my favorite 12ga bird hunting loads back up with me. TSA called me back to the screening area and promptly told me that I couldn't transport 12 ga "bullets" as it was illegal to transport "bullets" larger than 8 ga..... After a futile attempt to educate said TSA "agents" on the way shotshells were sized I finally marched said "illegal bullets" to the airport PD and donated them. Too much hassle. IDIOTS.......

historicfirearms
05-11-2013, 07:55 AM
I live in rural Michigan and just had the sheriff sign my papers in February. He didn't charge me anything and was very nice. Believe it or not, I was the very first one he had that was getting an NFA item (suppressor). He's been the sheriff for about 20 years. He told me about a drug raid they once did where the confiscated a suppressed gun. He and the deputies had a good time trying it out behind the jail.