PDA

View Full Version : Powder limit at my LGS

41 mag fan
05-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Went to my local LGS, well 30mi away LGS. I had called and asked if he had IMR3031. He said yes, so in the truck I hopped and took off.
Got down there and told him I'd called, he handed me 1lb of it. Asked if he had another jug, and he kinda stuttered and said yes, but I'm limiting everyone to 1lb!!
He told me if I came back Tuesday and he had it still, he'd sell it to me then. Told him I'm 30 mi away, didn't know if i'd make it back then.
So I told him thats fine, and went to lookng at what he had in molds, didn't see anything, so back to the counter I went.

He told me, don't tell anyone, but I'll sell you 2 of them! Told him mums the word, thanked him and chit chatted for a bit, while I paid for them.
He told me it's hard as ever to get primers or powder in. He gets very little and doesn't see it slowing or letting up in the foreseeable future.
Heck just 2 weeks ago, he sold me 2lbs of RL7. Must be getting harder for him to get anything in......

easymoney
05-10-2013, 09:38 PM
I live 75 miles away from the nearest gun shop/reloading supplier. About a month ago I called asking about spp/lpp. They advised they had some in stock but were limiting purchases to 300 per customer. I told them where I was located and asked if they would make allowances for customers who had to travel so far. They replied if I presented a DL proving my residence they would allow me to purchase 1000 at a time. The salesman told me they've had so many people trying to buy up mass quantities in order to resell them at much higher prices on the internet that they've had to institute the limits just so that those who were buying for personal use had a chance to get some. When I got to the store a day later the same salesman told me that they were allowing known customers, those who frequented the store before the panic buying started, to purchase a 1000 at a time. I was also surprised to find they had not raised the prices. I paid the same as I had the last time I bought from them, which was last year. Good business people, if you ask me. I think I'll continue to patronize them.

Boyscout
05-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Are the speculators followng the proper shipping rules with all of the Haz Mat fees and all that entails? Their questionable actions could "blow up" on all of us if UPS gets tired of dealing with it.

Mk42gunner
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Probably not, these would be the same people that think you can buy and sell guns over the internet with no controls, just like you used to be able to buy guns mail order.

Robert

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I am trading a guy at work he lives 35 miles north of work i live 35 miles south of work , he can get 1 brick of primers of each type per trip , i can get powder at my store that his store has none of , but i can't get any primers . so Monday i get my 2k and he gets his 2 pounds

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Are the speculators followng the proper shipping rules with all of the Haz Mat fees and all that entails? Their questionable actions could "blow up" on all of us if UPS gets tired of dealing with it.

how much you want to bet they are sending them USPS weighing them and printing the label form their little mail machine then dropping them in the blue boxes

hey isn't that a federal crime waiting for prosecution

heck they are probably using large manila envelops , you should hear my mail lady rant about that kind of thing , she isn't going to let any of miss marked mail get past her she weights them all and double checks them before they leave town.

dkf
05-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Plenty of powder at a local shop I went to today. Did not have Varget or CFE223 so I did not bother. If I would have had more cash along I would have picked up a 4lb jug of Power Pistol to add to my supply. They had a limit on primers but I did not see a sign for powder.

For me I would rather have the shop limit the amount per person vs jacking the price up. Basically either is trying to deter someone from coming in and hogging it all. I will leave it up to the shop owner to decide which way he/she wants to go.

Petrol & Powder
05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I haven't travelled very far in search of components but several of my LGS' are out of just about everything. No pistol/shotgun powders, very little rifle powder. The only primers to be had are shotgun and large rifle primers. Some commercial cast bullets (large calibers only), jacketed rifle bullets but no small caliber pistol bullets of any type. Loaded ammunition is available in limited numbers but at extreme prices. I can only assume that the market will eventually saturate and the manufactures will catch up with the demand. In the time being, I'm sitting in the tall weeds waiting for the madness to stop.

Blacksmith
05-13-2013, 12:07 AM
There is a gun store about an hour away from me that I have been a regular customer of about three or four times a year, when my other travels get me in that direction, ever since the last shortage because they had stuff when no one else did. I usually buy a thousand primers and some powder and anything else I need at the time. I am enough of a regular that they recognize me. I was there last weekend and commented on how well stocked his gun cases and ammo shelves were since he had most calibers in stock, including several 1,000 round cases of Federal .223, and most reloading supplies.

He told me that it was because the Monday after the Newtown shootings when everyone started the panic buying, since he is closed Mondays he spent the day on the phone ordering to stock up. He said he was able to get a one day jump on everyone else and so was at the head of the line for shipments. Just a local gun store but a smart proprietor who saw what was coming. Is he a hoarder and gouger, his prices are up a little but not what some are asking, or just a smart businessman? I think he was looking out for his customers and taking advantage of an opportunity he saw coming.

41 mag fan
05-13-2013, 07:04 AM
There is a gun store about an hour away from me that I have been a regular customer of about three or four times a year, when my other travels get me in that direction, ever since the last shortage because they had stuff when no one else did. I usually buy a thousand primers and some powder and anything else I need at the time. I am enough of a regular that they recognize me. I was there last weekend and commented on how well stocked his gun cases and ammo shelves were since he had most calibers in stock, including several 1,000 round cases of Federal .223, and most reloading supplies.

He told me that it was because the Monday after the Newtown shootings when everyone started the panic buying, since he is closed Mondays he spent the day on the phone ordering to stock up. He said he was able to get a one day jump on everyone else and so was at the head of the line for shipments. Just a local gun store but a smart proprietor who saw what was coming. Is he a hoarder and gouger, his prices are up a little but not what some are asking, or just a smart businessman? I think he was looking out for his customers and taking advantage of an opportunity he saw coming.

He'll still be in business when other FFL dealers have closed up shop due to not having anything to sell. Called business savvy, and foreseeing what was to come.

farmallcrew
05-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Finally all my stores have dried up. I don't think they thought it would last this long. They get shipments in here and there but no huge stock orders. Only primers they had were Bench rest, and LR Magnum, 1 box of each. Its an elderly husband and wife's shop, she looks at me and says primers are hard to come by, I said yes ma'am, but you have my powder I need. Picked up some H380, and some new to me powders I'll give a try. I'm sure all is gone, because that was last Monday I was in.