PDA

View Full Version : barrel on my spanish 1916 is bad.

frkelly74
05-10-2013, 05:32 PM
I bought a 1916 Spanish Mauser that was a 7mm mauser and just got around to slugging it. A .287 boolit will not bottom out in the lands. It is smooth bore at the muzzle. and as I was driving a slug from the muzzle it went from light resistance to no resistance about half way in. I had tried shooting some of my loads that do well in my 7mm chilean and it did not do well with them. So now I believe I have a good candidate for one of the 45 ACP conversions perhaps. I would like to get some comments and pointers before going into this endeavor.

Larry Gibson
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I've done a couple .45 ACP conversions on Spanish M93 Mausers. Suggest you consider finding the nearest cement wall and just butt your head against it instead..........

I sugesst convert to COC and rebarrel to .35 Remington instead.

Larry Gibson

frkelly74
05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
That doesn't sound like you had fun. I wonder if there is a barrel with a jamb nut head space adjustment for 35 rem. I think they exist for 308.

swheeler
05-15-2013, 08:31 AM
35 Rem sounds fun, think Larry means convert to COO, it's already a COC system.

frkelly74
05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Midway has 7mm mauser barrels but I did not see a 35 Remington available. I do not mind the cock on closing aspect of the pre98 style mauser action. The idea of 35 remington has taken root In my thinking of what that rifle should be.

MBTcustom
05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, the original barrel is tight at the muzzle and that's ok. Where you get in trouble, is when you have light resistance at the muzzle, that gets tighter in the middle of the barrel.

Irregardless, don't do a 45 conversion. That is advanced gunsmithing, and you'll just end up jacking up a good action.

35 Remington, is a viable conversion, but what are you going to do about the bolt face? Feeding? Extraction? You'd be surprised what trouble .015 can cause you in reliable function.
I would recommend 358 Winchester as a better choice, simply because of reliable feeding and properly size case head, and brass availability.

You had better read up on proper headspacing and not cut any corners on it.
56,000 psi is no joke when it's happening 1" from the end of your nose. BTW, you know you can get a gunsmith to set the barrel perfectly for only $150 don't you?

frkelly74
05-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Good points there

gwpercle
05-16-2013, 05:05 PM
I wonder if the barrel could be rebored fromm 7mm to 9mm ? That would give you a 9 x 57 Mauser instead of 7 X 57 Mauser. Cast boolits and handloading proposition only , but that's what we do. I don't remember seeing any 9 X 57 Mauser ammo for sale lately...but that 9 X 57 should make a great cast boolit shooter.
I had a 7x57 that I wanted rebarreled to 358 Win. but the gunsmith refused because of the feeding issues...some mausers are hard to get to work right with anything other than the round they were designed for . So he wouldn't do it. Glad he wouldn't do it because even though the barrel looked like a rusted section of sewer pipe after extensive cleanings it would shoot groups that I could cover with a quarter.

Gary

FLINTNFIRE
05-19-2013, 10:19 AM
You could send it to be rebored , it is more reasonable then most think it to be , just another option
http://www.35caliber.com/8.html Here is the link to J E S rebore .

izzyjoe
05-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Shillen makes a pre threaded barrel in 35 Rem for SR mausers, and yes i think Larry ment COO. if you get used to it, there's not a problem with. it's just personal preferance.