PDA

View Full Version : Need this recipe: Crab and shrimp stew.

Changeling
05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
A few weeks ago I copied this recipe. However I can no longer find it and need some copies.

It was started by gwpercle from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Anyone that can help I would appreciate it. I sent a personal message , but never heard anything back.:veryconfu

gwpercle
05-14-2013, 01:04 PM
I am sorry changeling, I got your PM and thought I knew enough about this computer stuff so I copied the recipe and thought I sent it to you. Evidentilly my computer skills still are lacking...I apoligize. I am always glad to share a recipe with others. Lets try this ...Click on the RECIPE BOOK thread. it's in the cooking section , dated 11-29-12 , it is post no. 6 on pages 3 and 4.

If you still can't find it, PM me or post again (I'll be looking for it ) and I will repost the recipe again.
Gary
Changeling, drop down to the next post, I reposted the recipe.

gwpercle
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
This recipe is from my wife, Debbie, who was born and raised in New Orleans, La.. If you use tomatoes in this dish it could be called Creole, leave them out and it could be called cajun. Either way you will call it good. I like it with tomatoes.

1 lb peeled shrimp ( raw tails ) frozen is OK.
6 blue crabs (raw or cooked) cleaned and halved. if small use 8 to 12.
6 Tab. flour
1 onion chopped
1-14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes or 2 cups fresh tomatoes. (Rotel if you like spicey)
8 Tab. butter
2- cloves garlic - chopped fine
2- green onions- tops and bottoms-chopped fine
1/2 green bell pepper- chopped fine
1 or 2 pinches thyme
1 tea. cajun seasoning ( your choice)
1 tea. salt.
optional- 1 tea. Accent
cooked white rice- 4 cups

Lightly brown flour in butter (you are making a roux) Add chopped onion, bellpepper and garlic. When onions are soft and transparent add tomatoes, seasonings, salt and alittle water to make a medium thin gravy. Cook on low, covered for at least 30 mins. Add the crabs and water as needed so the gravy does't get too thick. Simmer crabs about 45 to 60 mins. Add raw shrimp and simmer an additional 10 mins.. Turn off the fire and let stand cover at least 15 mins for flavors to meld. Serve over rice with hot buttered french bread. Eating the crabs is a bit messy but the crabs in thier shells adds a wonderful flavor to the dish. This freezes well and is even better the next day

Gary

I decided to repost because the in first one I left out when to add the garlic. And now you don't have to go and try and find it .

Changeling
05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Hi Gary, thank you and your wife Debbie very much for the recipe. It really sounds like something I am really going to enjoy.
My son and some friends have already asked for the recipe. Us Maryland people really like crab anything, and Debbie's recipe really sounded great. Thanks a lot for posting it, I owe you one.

As for the "Garlic", not to worry, I'm a garlic freak, I'll probably end up doubling the garlic in the recipe, LOL.

Forgot to say, there is another member here named "Dale", I believe he is form Louisiana also, and sometimes posts on Cajun cooking, you'll have to keep an eye out for him. He knows his stuff!

gwpercle
05-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Changeling,
You are very welcome, I enjoy sharing good recipes and this is a good one. It was selected for publication in the Louisiana Seafood Bible, Book Number 3, Crabs. Its on page 175, which I thought was pretty cool. The writer Jerald Horst, had been collecting and testing recipes since the 70's. He was Professor of Fisheries with Louisiana State University Agriculture Center at that time and people would send in seafood recipes for publication in a monthly newsletter on commerical fishing he put out. He didn't realize it at the time, that all this was going to lead to a series of books on preparing seafood. There are now 6 books: shrimp, crawfish,crabs, oyster's , fish -vol. I ( saltwater fish), fish-vol. II (freshwater fish). I had forgotten I had sent any recipes to him over the years, untill one appeared in the newspaper , 4 years ago, taken from the first book on shrimp. Then I found his web site and we got in touch again. I now have 5 with the 6th book scheduled for publication this year.

You are correct about garlic, I like it and usually use 4 cloves.

And correct about Dale, every recipe he submits is good , I still haven't tested his recipe for canned pogey and dried shrimp gumbo, but I will take his word it's good. Dale won't steer you wrong.

Gary