PDA

View Full Version : Reloading des--er, bench

Bren R.
05-10-2013, 11:53 AM
We had an old oak desk at the range we weren't using anymore, so I brought it home to repurpose it as a reloading bench, has a little more class than my current dimensional lumber and MDF bench.

Stripping off the old, damaged veneer:

Routed a roman ogee around the top to remove all the dents and chips from the surface (and just squared up the face for the press to sit against) - inset is the original brass lock, pinned with a threaded brass rod to keep it from being inadvertantly locked:

Top after stripping and initial sanding, then wetted to show grain:

Completed bench, curing and waiting to be brought in this weekend:

I ended up just reinstalling the large drawer face without the drawer body behind it, since it'll be inaccessible with a press mounted to it anyway. The drawers were missing their dividers as well, so I made a few of those from some planks of mahogany that my dad had scavenged out of a depression-era safe.

My metallic presses are all mounted to 3/16" hardened steel plates (from safe walls) with a common through-bolt pattern, so they get bolted through the bench into tee-nuts mounted under the table top. Still working out how and where to mount the Lyman 45, shotgun press(es) and powder measure when each of those is required.

Bren R.

Infidel
05-10-2013, 08:23 PM
I've been eyeballing my benchtop to try and figure out some kind of sliders to mount different presses/ accessories to. I came up with an idea, but haven't made one yet. I figured on using bed rails. How do I explain this?? I'd have to use an inch thick plank, attached to the underside of my benchtop. On the sides, I would mount the bed rails in an "L", with about a 1/4" gap between the bottom of the "L" and the bottom of the plank. That is the receiver, if you will.
Now, on another stout plank, mount another set of bed rails, this time with an upside down "L". This plank will have to be slightly skinnier than the inch plank, installed under the top. Place the rails with the "wings" sticking out. You should now be able to slide the two together, kind of like a drawer. Mount your extra stuff on that. In my case, I'm thinking about making several and mounting different presses on each one.
For a lock, to keep the whole thing from walking out, while you use it, put the accessory plank in, with as much hanging out as you need and bore a hole in your beautiful desktop, through the first plank, and through the lower one. With a dowel, slightly smaller than the drill bit, lock it in place. You will have to put some kind of cap on top of the dowel, so it doesn't fall clear through.

Ok, that's my 2 cents worth. Sorry about the drilling a hole in your desk.

Bren R.
05-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Ok, that's my 2 cents worth. Sorry about the drilling a hole in your desk.

It's alright. To each their own. I really don't feel bad about blowing holes through it, no matter how pretty it is. It's served a life as an office desk, it served our club as a sign-in desk for years, now it'll be a pretty little reloading bench.

I'm more trying to figure out if mounting the shotgun press and lubrisizer on there permanently on the "9 o'clock and 3 o'clock" sides will be in the way... with my setup now, I usually just clamp them on my bench when I need them, but they may end up with a permanent home right on the bench.

I'm a tall one though... not sure how comfortable it'd be to not be able to put my knees under the desk while I'm sizing cast or loading shotshells. Have to mock it up once I get it in.

Bren R.

Bren R.
05-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Looks much better with a press mounted.

Will look even more normal once it's covered in clutter.

I did have to remove the front false drawer face, though.

Bren R.

Randy C
05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
That is a good looking set up now build some shelves to match.

daniel lawecki
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Nice bench my is a couple kitchen base cabinet with a nice counter top easy to clean. The drawers make for nice place for dies primers & tools.

Bren R.
05-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the kudos.

Cut a few more plates last night for mounting other equipment to the bench.

Bren R.

Whiterabbit
05-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Lovely.

Old Iron Sights
05-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Old desks work well. Got a desk and chair from goodwill for $30. Formica top makes for easy cleanup.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/16/ujyga8a8.jpg

Bren R.
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Old desks work well. Got a desk and chair from goodwill for $30. Formica top makes for easy cleanup.

Good deal, I'm in over $100 on supplies alone for mine.

Bren R.