PDA

View Full Version : Metal + Shipping prices for Aneat's press

ohnomrbillk
05-10-2013, 11:09 AM
I priced the build list with Speedy Metals, and came up with $180 in steel and $70 in shipping to Wichita, KS.

Any suggestions on better options in terms of shipping?

dbosman
05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Can the dis-assembled pieces fit diagonally in any of the flat rate box sizes?

customcutter
05-10-2013, 08:53 PM
You might want to try onlinemetals. I was just on another forum and someone posted that they had the same thing for 1/3 the price, on a piece of drill rod someone was looking for. Never used them myself.

Edit: Just saw rotometals at the top of the page. Free shipping over $99

Edit: Sorry, I guess rotometals is non-ferrous metals.

30yrcaster
05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
I've ordered from both On-line metals & Speedy metals and both are good. Last order from Speedy came really fast. I found you have to price each piece and compare. Sometimes one place is cheaper than the other on a particular piece. Most of the other places other than those 2 are much higher. Since metal is heavy, there's no cheap way for the shipping. Most of the metal I ordered wouldn't fit in the flat rate box but it's worth asking especially if they can put it in a couple. It may pay to have some pieces cut so they'll fit in the flat rate box to save on the shipping.

06-12-2013, 10:45 PM
i've used speedy metals price was good, service was great, shipping sucked but thats the shipper not them.

imashooter2
06-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Not sure exactly what you're needing, but surely there are local metals suppliers in Wichita... If the phone book doesn't work, try asking local machine shops where they get their goods.

ohnomrbillk
06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Not sure exactly what you're needing, but surely there are local metals suppliers in Wichita... If the phone book doesn't work, try asking local machine shops where they get their goods.

Local machine shops sent me to several places.

No one I have found is selling steel in small quantities unless I dig through the scrap pile.

Aircraft aluminum, on the other hand, is available in any quantity, alloy, shape, etc.