PDA

View Full Version : Colt PPS

DCP
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I have a old Colt PPS in 38 special is the front sight pressed in or what

leftiye
05-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Sweated or silver soldered into milled slot. Why do you ask?

DCP
05-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Sweated or silver soldered into milled slot. Why do you ask?

I am thinking of fitzing it. Maybe more trouble and expense than I expected.

It is a 4 inch and the finish is not that good, if I fitz it I will refinish it. If not I will leave it alone.
It may be better to just find a good old Colt or Smith 2 inch

gnoahhh
05-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Ok, I gotta ask. What the heck is "flizing"?

DCP
05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Ok, I gotta ask. What the heck is "flizing"?

Well 1st its fitz

http://www.google.com/search?q=fitz+firearms&rlz=1T4TSNF_enUS476US476&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Z1yOUYj_MaK8yAHUrIGYDw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1260&bih=484#rlz=1T4TSNF_enUS476US476&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=fitzed+firearms&oq=fitzed+firearms&gs_l=img.12...8944.9193.0.11716.2.2.0.0.0.0.52.98. 2.2.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.wEShM70cPHc&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.aWc&fp=e57c9a508550640d&biw=1260&bih=484

http://www.yankeegunnuts.com/2010/07/08/the-fitz-special/

gnoahhh
05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Aha. I always thought that was an interesting concept for a close range self defense gun. Since the intended use is 'up close and personal', why bother with a front sight at all? Bob the barrel to 2", leave off the sight (one less thing to potentially snag on something), bob the hammer, lighten the DA trigger pull to where it still reliably fires, open the front of the trigger guard, and voilą- a "bellicose belly gun" as old Dean Grennell called them.

MtGun44
05-14-2013, 01:11 AM
I was always saddened when I saw these guns. I my eyes, this is
butchery, plain and simple. The cutaway trigger guard screams
"unsafe" and "fragile" (it would be relatively easy - say drop the
gun - to bend the TG up and jam the trigger) to me.

Reminds me of a cheaply bubba'd "hunting rifle" made out of a
Springfield or Mauser. Certainly, there are beautiful examples of
truly sporterized milsurps, but there are a lot of bubba jobs. The
Fitz's remind me of the bubbas.

To each his own, they were apparently popular in the 20s or so.

Bill

Bren R.
05-14-2013, 02:52 AM
To each his own, they were apparently popular in the 20s or so.

So was pole-sitting. 'Nuff said. :D

Bren R.

bob208
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
it was a fad that came and went. i say leave it gone.

there is no need for it now with all the small powerfull pocket autos.

Uncle R.
05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Once again Bill has it right. I have no quarrel with de-horning and front sight smoothing but in my opinion a "Fitz Special" was (and still is) a heckuva thing to do to a quality gun. If I were determined to start cutting on a trigger guard for some reason I always thought that Bill Jordan's idea of thinning down the front edge of the guard made more sense. The thinned guard would still be at least partially effective and a durn sight more resistant to bending than a "Fitzed" guard.
<
Uncle R.

gnoahhh
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Once again Bill has it right. I have no quarrel with de-horning and front sight smoothing but in my opinion a "Fitz Special" was (and still is) a heckuva thing to do to a quality gun. If I were determined to start cutting on a trigger guard for some reason I always thought that Bill Jordan's idea of thinning down the front edge of the guard made more sense. The thinned guard would still be at least partially effective and a durn sight more resistant to bending than a "Fitzed" guard.
<
Uncle R.

Agreed, but the key words there are "quality gun". The OP alludes to the subject of his query being a poorly finished piece, which probably has little or no 'collector value' (whatever that is). Such guns are good for being the basis of experimentation. How do any of us know for a fact that "Fitzing" a pistol is a good or bad idea unless we actually try one? Like I said I always thought it was an interesting concept, but never got around to doing it- not for lack of wherewithal but for the fact I don't feel the need for any kind of compact pocket pistol. I just can't be bothered with daily carry.