PDA

View Full Version : Light at the end of the tunnel?

Kraschenbirn
05-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Actually saw what (I think) may be a small indicator that the 'panic shortages' could be subsiding a bit. Stopped by a nearby 'farm & home' store (Big R) to pick up some welding supplies and, while, I was there trolled through the the Sporting Goods section to see if they had any .22s in stock. No .22s but they did actually have a fair amount of both 7.62x39 (TULA) and 7.62x51 (ARMSCOR) on the shelf and priced only a buck or so more per box than last fall. Biggest surprise, though, was a full display of hi-cap mags...mostly AR 30-rounders...from three or four different manufacturers, with prices ranging from $16.95 for plastic Thermolds to $34.95 for metal Triple Ks.

Bill

dakotashooter2
05-10-2013, 10:42 AM
All the stores I have been in have enough AR mags to last them for ten years. A year from now they should be real cheap...................

zidave
05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I was at Woods-n-Water yesterday and they had quite the selection of powders, many ARs, lots of 223 and 7.62x39, and tons of common pistol ball ammo. Things are beginning to look better.

Even Wal-Mart had a few ARs in stock.

Ed Barrett
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I would sure like to see some small rifle and pistol primers.

H.Callahan
05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Hell, I'd like to see ANYTHING.

nagantguy
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
No 22 lr but have seen lots of ar ak type rifles as of late some ammo and lots of standard cap mags. Even got some h110 at regular price from gander mountain.

km101
05-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Seems like everyone has AR's and mags in stock now. They don't seem to be moving, because no one has anything to shoot in them.

I think primers and powder will be the last things to recover, as the manufacturers will be using all the current production to make ammo. After the ammo stocks get back to normal we should see the components hit the shelves in normal quantities again. But I don't see this happening any time soon as there still seems to be a lot of panic buying in ammo. Ammo is gone as soon as it hits the shelves in local Walmarts and the big box outdoor stores around this area. And it shows no signs of slowing down. As I have seen mentioned in other posts, there seems to be a "cottage industry" developing in buying ammo at normal prices at the big box stores and reselling it online. Until practices like this die out, ammo will continue to be in short supply. Or until the resellers find that they cannot sell it at inflated prices any more. Which ever comes first.

jsheyn
05-10-2013, 12:48 PM
I've been seeing some primers hitting the shelves. Not any powder yet, still buying surpluss stuff.

Buddy said he picked up 9mm for $15 at cabelas....GOOD SIGN

bosterr
05-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Yesterday, my local Walmart had 6 boxes of CCI 22 LR on the shelf, they were gone today, but they were the first I've seen for 3 or 4 months. Not what I use, so I didn't buy. When I see Federal Auto Match, that will be a different story. In that same 3 or 4 months, I saw 9mm ammo about twice, I hope this is a small sign of things to come.

Bucking the Tiger
05-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I am keeping my S&W K22 and my CZ 452 oiled up, waiting for the day when .22lr is in stock and affordable. The whole idea behind the .22lr was cheap, quiet fun.
It is a shame to see people scalping their fellow shooters over .22 ammo. The best way to stop this is not to buy from them.
Until then, I am shooting my own cast boolits in .38 Special, with surplus powder and scavenged primers for plinking.
Our present administration has unwittingly( and ironically...I might add) been the biggest boost to firearms and ammunition sales in years. I just hope that some of the hoarders and panic buyers took five minutes to write their representatives, Congressmen, President, etc. and let their voice be heard. Smith and Wesson and Ruger both had ingenious links set up on their websites to make contacting these goverment people easy: Thanks guys!
Panic buying implies that you believe the government can take away what it wants to from you as it pleases.This is not true! The anti gun crowd is well bankrolled and connected, but a steady stream of voices in the government's ears WILL influence voting time. The cost of Freedom is eternal vigilance.