PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 110

Jack Stanley
05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
I found a Savage model 110 chambered in .223 Remington at the gun orphanage several weeks ago . Since it is a lefty it drew my attention and with a heavy coating of dust on it the dickering about the adoption fee was real short . It has fired really well with the jacketed ammo I've put through it so of course I was going to try cast .

It is just incredible , at least the few groups shot at forty yards . Groups are easier to get with this one than my Stevens model two hundred . Probably several reasons but I'm going to say that I believe the one in fourteen twist is a primary cause . Well , that's my story ... for now , but all is not well .

I'm using an RCBS 22-55-SP bullet and the overall cartridge length is 2.175" , groups are good in a couple rifles with this . Feeding from the magazine in this Savage is not one hundred percent reliable though . Even though it has a small meplat , as it is feeding into the barrel the bullet catches just a bit on the back of the barrel . Question is will shortening the over all length work better or worse do ya think ?

I haven't got back to the loading bench to try it yet but I'm thinking of seating bullets another .025" or so and see if that works . Also , if I do that I can put just a touch more crimp to it so even if it stubs it's nose a little it won't change the length . Currently the case mouth is right at the back of the first driving band and more crimp doesn't grab very solid .

A plus is that even with a little shaver of lead clipped from the nose they still shoot well . I am running out of this style bullet ( a member here kindly loaned me his mold ) and when these are gone I have a RCBS 22-55-FN I am hoping to use for woodchuck elimination chores . So I would really like to get an idea of how to make them work smoothly . Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help , Jack

Jack Stanley
05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Well I got out with some ammo seated just a little deeper . I seated them to an overall length of 2.150" and just a touch more crimp . No joy with it , it still wants to hang up more than I like . The magazine will hold six rounds and the first four seem to run OK but the last two in the magazine just don't want to play right . The 110 has a staggered magazine and feeds from left and right . Since I only have another three hundred or so of this style bullet I'm not going to fuss very much . But if it's going to be a stinker with this one I bet it's not going to like the RCBS 22-55-FN that I want to use in this rifle . I also have a mold that makes round nose bullets so I can try that too , failing that I may have to just run spitzers through it or use it single shot .

Jack

Hawkeye45
05-15-2013, 10:54 PM
The 110 lefty was my first center fire rifle. I still have that .222 after all these years it is still fun to shoot.

Mr. Ed

Jack Stanley
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM
As well as this one shoots I sure hope to find a cast bullet that feeds reliably in it . I have a left hand Axis that I haven't tried cast in yet but the feed system looks more reliable than the 110 , at least with pointed bullets .

Jack

starmac
05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
The lefty's always catch my eye, they just didn't put the bolt on the right side on many rifles. lol