PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood/Herter's Question!

seagiant
05-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to get a Primer Pin Set for my Hollywood Senior presses. I use the CH Tool adapter so I can use my J type shellholder. There is a Gentleman on E-Bay that is selling Primer Pin sets for Herter presses that use the RCBS adapter. These are made extra long so they will work with the longer adapter!

My question is what thread does the Herter's press use for the priming pins? The Hollywood Seniors that I have are 5/16-18. Thanks!

Pressman
05-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Herter's primer pins are small as they use a primer arm like Pacific and RCBS. In my not so humble opinion it is easier, faster and you get better results with a separate priming tool.
Ken

seagiant
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Hi,
Do you know what thread is used on the Herter's priming posts????

Pressman
05-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Seagiant, the standard Herter's priming pins are 8-32 tpi.
Herter's early Model 9 (H type), Model 27, Model 3M, and Model 9M all use a 5/16-18 tpi primer post. On those models, except the early 9, the post screws into the end of the ram. They were the beginning of the ram prime idea.
Ken

seagiant
05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi,
Thanks Ken, I'm trying not to buy something that I can't use or would have to jury-rig to get to work! The other problem is when you use the shellholder adapters,are you increasing the length that the primer post needs to be? I've heard so many conflicting reports on this, it's quite confusing! Thanks again!

Pressman
05-11-2013, 02:52 PM
The answer is yes. Only the Herter's adapter keeps the shellholder at the same height, all the after market brands raise the shellholder and interfere with ram travel. They work but it takes a lot of getting used to the ram stopping before it breaks over.
Now, there is a guy on eBay that is selling adapters along with the longer primer pins.
If you know someone who is creative with a mill you can make a Herter's adapter from a #1 shellholder. I have the comparison pictures and dimensions. And I just received pictures of another adapter that a very talented person made by modifying a Herter's ram. It is nice, but took a lot of skill to make.
Ken

Ken

seagiant
05-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi,
Well this question started because there is a guy on ebay selling primer post sets for Herters Presses and I was wondering if they would work on a Hollywood Senior as the price is very reasonable. Owning both a BP Mill and a Clausing lathe I am able to probably make what I need but there is always the time/importance issue and how busy I am! Thanks for the info. I have several ways to hand prime ammo but thought it might be nice to try it on a press as I have never done it that way!

LUBEDUDE
05-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Howdy SG, I ran into similar problems as well. However, when I did overcome the length problem I would sometimes run into a diameter problem. Some shell holders would have a more narrow hole than other others.
To overcome that problem, I would have to check and drill out my shell holders.

For Me, I find it MUCh easier to just buy/use the CH/HOllywood shellholders. That way, I know, there won't be a problem.

seagiant
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Lube,
Thanks for the pic! Thats a nice press! Yes,this is really something that I don't need but was thinking about as I had never primed on a press before and the new tall Senior I got is just so smooth I thought it would be nice to try it! If I was retired and had plenty of time and NEEDED something to do, I would make my own shellholders and priming arms but unfortunately that is not my situation!!!

Here is what I want,this is on E-bay and looks like good work but I'm not paying $75 for it!

Kevin Rohrer
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM
The other problem is when you use the shellholder adapters,are you increasing the length that the primer post needs to be?

Not that I have noticed before this thread appeared. I use both CH H-rams w/ RCBS shellholders and Hollywwod-type shellholders interchangably. My only concern is if the opening in the shellholder is wide enough to accept the primer cup.

LUBEDUDE
05-12-2013, 04:28 PM
I guess that was what I was trying to say Kevin. You put it down in words MUch better than I did!