PDA

View Full Version : Yankee mould

Dye
09-11-2007, 08:59 PM
I was checking some of my moulds and found a Yankee mould. It is a brass 30 cal. There is no markings on it. Cast a 30 cal gas check 166 gr bullet out of pure Pb. OAL 1.33, Bands .313. Nose .300. It looks like a copy of the Lyman311413.

Be carefull Dye

floodgate
09-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Yankee (later under the Rohrbacher name) made lots of moulds in the '20's, '30's and '40s, including copies of many of the Ideal / Lyman designs; some of them were even stamped with the Lyman numbers. (I suspect - but cannot confirm - that they may have had "back door" access to Lyman; or they may have bought up discarded Lyman cherries.) We have had reports of Yankee moulds marked "311413" and other Lyman numbers, though most were unmarked. Search "Yankee" here, and you should find a lot of dicussion on these moulds.

floodgate

beagle
09-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey Dye. You got a jewel there. I have one and it shoots great in the .30/06 and casts well. Mine's marked 311413. Some of them aren't marked./beagle

Dye
09-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Beagle
That is just like mine,still has the wire on the handles and are not cracked.
I am restocking a 788 Rem 308 LH . Since I got it out I will make a cerrosafe cast of the cavity and cast some Pb bullets for my moud sheet.
Beagle I wish to thank you for the article on Yankee moulds in Castpicts.
If it wasn't for that article it would still be in the bottom of the mould drawer.
Thanks again

BE carefull Dye

scrapcan
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a yankee HP 30 caliber that is almost a copy of the 41141. My mould is also unmarked for all intents and purposes. It has a 7 on both mould halves, but I have not been able to attribute that to anything. The mould casts very well, but I attribute some of that to Buckshot and his work building a replacement PH pin for me.

The wire wrap on the wood handles based on discussions with Floodgate and Bill Aydt, from the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association, is characteristic of the Yankee moulds.

There are pictures of my mould on this site. I have not had a chance to shoot any of the boolits but I have some loaded in 30-30 cases ready t to send down range. I would be interested in knowing you results in the 308 with the mould you have.