PDA

View Full Version : Range scrap

zidave
05-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I poured my first ever lead ingots today from range scrap. I watched numerous videos on melting it down and skimming the junk off then fluxing and skimming the dross off.

Is range scrap a good alloy for casting boolits? Do I need to add any tin or antimony?

Mlcompound
05-09-2013, 11:44 PM
I use range scrap without adding anything to it. I have success with 9, 38, and 45 so far. I will be loading some 357 this weekend.

btroj
05-10-2013, 05:57 AM
I use it as is for handgun bullets. I add a bit of monotype for rifle bullets. It is a very useful alloy.

Sasquatch-1
05-10-2013, 07:13 AM
The range scrap I get from the club I belong to will test out at about 10.5 to 12.5 BHn if not sorted. If I sort out all the jacketed bullet from the cast the jacket come out at the 10.5 bhn and the cast come out at about 13bhn. This is 24 hrs after casting. checking again 3 to 4 weeks later the cast routinely test out at 22bhn.

Depending on where you get your scrap, make sure you check for duds in the batch. I have found several. Luckily before smelting.

zidave
05-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Depending on where you get your scrap, make sure you check for duds in the batch. I have found several. Luckily before smelting.

I'm new around here so I'm not familiar with all the terms but by dud do you mean a still loaded round? If so, I don't see me running into that problem as I pick up all the scrap myself.

Jim
05-10-2013, 08:54 AM
..... by dud do you mean a still loaded round? .....

At the risk of speaking for Sasquatch, I believe that IS what he was refering to. I feel sure you're culling out any loaded rounds you find, but his comment was simply cautionary. Personally, I'd rather he encourage safety than not.

mold maker
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
To be sure I get all the duds out, I put everything in a cement mixer with water and Dawn for about 10 min. Then it is all dried on the cement drive in the sun. Take a garden rake and mix/spread them several times. When clean and dry you can remove the rocks and live rounds easily, plus there's less trash to heat (uses less gas, and time) in the melt.
I started doing it this way when the tinsel fairy made her first visit. Thank goodness it was a 22lr and not a 44-45.

zidave
05-10-2013, 02:39 PM
At the risk of speaking for Sasquatch, I believe that IS what he was refering to. I feel sure you're culling out any loaded rounds you find, but his comment was simply cautionary. Personally, I'd rather he encourage safety than not.

Safety is #1 always.
Thanks everyone

rainyday
05-10-2013, 05:04 PM
for those who are new to it, i keep a pair of side cuttters handy and cut total copper jackets. that way they dont explode with a shower of lead

btroj
05-10-2013, 07:03 PM
I have never cut an FMJ, have never been splashed by an explosion or shower of lead. This is after smelting almost 1500 pounds of range scrap.

fredj338
05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
I have never cut an FMJ, have never been splashed by an explosion or shower of lead. This is after smelting almost 1500 pounds of range scrap.
Not FMJ, but TMJ plated rounds. They can actually pop with a small explosive force, had it happen to me. I smelt with the lid partially on for just such a thing. It's best to smash, the plated bullets to at least crack the plating.
To Dave, yeah, range scrap is pretty much GTG for most casting. It does depend on what kind of scrap though. My range gets a lot of cast bullet shooters, so my scrap comes out a bit harder than say an indoor range where a lot of plated or jacketed bullets are found. For lower vel/pressure loads, even pure lead can work. Water dropping may harden things up some, or mix 50/50 w/ clip ww for a very usable alloy.

zidave
05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Not FMJ, but TMJ plated rounds. They can actually pop with a small explosive force, had it happen to me. I smelt with the lid partially on for just such a thing. It's best to smash, the plated bullets to at least crack the plating.
To Dave, yeah, range scrap is pretty much GTG for most casting. It does depend on what kind of scrap though. My range gets a lot of cast bullet shooters, so my scrap comes out a bit harder than say an indoor range where a lot of plated or jacketed bullets are found. For lower vel/pressure loads, even pure lead can work. Water dropping may harden things up some, or mix 50/50 w/ clip ww for a very usable alloy.

Good to see you over here Fred.
The scrap is a mix of cast lead and jacketed bullets.