PDA

View Full Version : What are you paying for brass by the pound?

USMC87
05-09-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a few places that I can buy brass for $2.50-$3.00 a pound and they let me pick through it and get what I want. What are you getting brass for in your area?

ratboy
05-09-2013, 11:51 PM
i have the same deal. its a pain tho as the brass is in a 55 gallon drum and has berdan primed military in it as well so the sorting takes a long time. i quit going to the scrap yard as often also as the new nonferris guy is not as friendly as the old guy. the only reason i get in at all i suspect is i know the owner of the yard so at least i dont have a lot of competition for supplies.

prsman23
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
1.00 a pound

USMC87
05-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Where you located there prsman23? Man that's what they pay for scrap here.

prsman23
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Southern Illinois. It's just one little shop in the midst of a corn field. It used to be .03 cents a case, but they got tired of counting out the cases. So they moved it to a dollar a pound. I will say that I'm spoiled a bit. Have all the 45 acp I could ever want.

USMC87
05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Well I have found a supplier for my brass needs here local, I am waiting on a barrel of brass anytime now.

lars1367
05-18-2013, 05:59 PM
That's not bad as long as they let you sort through it on site.
-Corey

seagiant
05-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Hi,
Just a question! If this is range pick-up why do you want it for ANY price????

Fishman
05-19-2013, 09:35 AM
What's wrong with range pick-up brass, particularly handgun?

Range pick-ups let all us poor folks reload too :)

W.R.Buchanan
05-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Greg: I 've got to side with the rest on this point of range pickups. 99% of what I shoot is range pickups and they are either mine or someone elses brass to begin with. In the case of .45 ACP the cases are reloadable indefinately. .40 S&W I debulge and probably won't get back after I load them once and if I do they get debulged again as part of the case prep.

When I go to my range we have brass barrels that people are supposed to put their spent brass in. The only brass that doesn't get put in these barrels a much as they would like is 22rf. It usually is left on the ground. I cannot leave good OF brass that I can use to be thrown away to a brass recycler when it is still useful.

I always look in the brass barrels for nice OF rifle and pistol brass. It blows me away how much I find. I seldom leave with less than 100 5.56LC usually I find whole boxes of nice .30-30 cases someone has shot up and since they don't reload it all goes in the bucket. I once found 3 .300 Weatherby cases whcih are worth about $5 a piece laying there right in front of one of the benches. I surmised that the shooter had had enough fun for one day, and since his brain was totally scrambled from 3 solid hits from that gun, he just ran off and left the cases there.

Our scrap brass goes to a recycler and the proceeds funds our childrens shoots. HOWEVER!!! they are not going to miss a few hundred pristine cases that can be recycled into my reloading operation. I consider it to be wasteful in the extreme to throw this stuff away.

I have bought new brass, since I don't see alot of .44 spec or .45-70 brass laying around, but when it comes to the generic stuff, there is more than enough laying in front of me to keep me going for along time. I have a Ammo Wizard I bought specifically to pick up abandoned brass, and typically after an IDPA shoot me and my bro in law come home with way more brass than we shot.

The key to safely running range brass is cleaning and tumbling it first so that you can see if it is good or bad. Also don't hotrod your reloads.

I look at it this way,,,If you really think you need hot or hi-performance ammunition for hunting or self defense, Then go buy a box of factory loaded ammo for that purpose. Every other usage can be fulfilled with midrange reloads. Range brass is fine for mid range reloads as long as you know what you are doing and sort the brass.

Randy

Huntducks
05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
$2.00 a lb and you get to pick thru it.

I don't know were this mind set came from that range brass was no good but if you go through it and toss any bad stuff it works as well as any I pick it up all the time.