PDA

View Full Version : Is Pewtertone real pewter?

zombie480
05-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Found a couple pieces of pewter at a local thrift shop, did a search on pewtertone but didn't find much info on it:

It's quite smooth and heavy BUT it does have a grayish, cloudy hue to it and it doesn't ring when I tap it.

Also does this look like genuine pewter as well:

Thanks for any info!

hickfu
05-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Hit it with a torch, if it melts in a few seconds then it may be but if it wont melt then its probably an aluminum based metal with a pewter tone to it.

I found 2 plates with stickers that say pewter at the thrift store, I didnt think they were pewter so I purchased 1 to find out. After 5 minutes with the torch and it not melting I figure its not pewter!
I will stick to pewter that is stamped "Pewter"

Doc

imashooter2
05-10-2013, 07:28 AM
"Goldtone" watches aren't gold. If they were they would be labeled "gold."

Your pieces don't look like real pewter to me. Too thick and made in India.

Ohio Rusty
05-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Scratch the bottom. If it scratches/gouges easily and feels like soft lead when you try to peel a thin bit of metal from the bottom, then it's probably pewter. You may have a pewter alloy of some type. Try to melt a bit of it.
Ohio Rusty ><>

louism
05-11-2013, 12:27 PM
A little trick I use to be sure is to turn my wedding ring around so the thin back side is facing out and use it like a gouge. If I can scrape a bur it is usually pewter, if not I pass. You can do it in an inconspicuous spot on the item in the thrift store before you purchase it.
Not sure about your piece but I can say for sure Pewterex in not pewter.

Defcon-One
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
"Alco Serveware" on the label makes me think Aluminum! Alco, Indian version of Alcoa?

Also, if it was real Pewter wouldn't they just say Pewter? Anytime I see a fancy made up "combo word" like "Pewtertone" I walk away quickly so I don't get tempted.

One last time, "Pewter will usually say Pewter."