PDA

View Full Version : .40S&W, 170gr SWC IDP#2, IMR 800x

smokesahoy
05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm working up some loads with this combination now, the bullet is very long for the weight, .630 by my verniers.

I am up to ~7 grains 800x powder right now, I included the ~ because, well it's 800x.

1.125 OAL
7gr 800x (slight compression possible, but no pressure signs yet)
170gr SWC IDP#2

Has anyone worked up a pet load in this combination? I am going off the lyman book, they have 175 bullet max 7.4, but the bullet length is very different from mine.

Well figured i'd throw this thread out there, the idp#2 is a popular bullet and the 800x a popular powder for those that like to tinker with loads (everyone else hates it, lol) to discuss this combination if there are any other people on the board that have also come across this combination what did you end up with, and did you chrono any loads? I still dont have one and lymans listed velocity of 974 @ 7.4 grs seems a little low.

I'm still dialing in to an accuracy load, but I had to shoot something fun in the meantime, and I filled a 2q jug of water, and totally demolished it heh.

smokesahoy
05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
well i'm up to 7.4 and no signs of overpressure. i really wish i had a chrony to check these numbers out.

the round feels good, its a stout push more reminiscent of a 45, but not quite, i think Oreos WFN will achieve that, I might go back to zip for these bullets, they're a tad on the long side, and save the 800x for oreos bullets. That should be a monster combo.