PDA

View Full Version : New gun advice

starmac
05-09-2013, 03:19 PM
I haven't bought a new gun in years, and didn't now. I did buy an unfired used 357 blackhawk the other day and will change thet unfired part shortly.

I have read on here a few times that it is advisable to run some jacketed through a new barrel to smooth the rifling before using cast.
A box of 50 factory rounds came with he gun, I guess my question is, will that 50 rounds be enough or should I go on the hunt for some more jacketed to break this thing in??

Just a quick check around town, there is zero 357 mag rounds or components around town. lol

Walt
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
50 rounds of jacketed stuff is what I'll normally run through a new handgun. My idea is to kind of smooth any rough spots in the barrel.

Tatume
05-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I doubt that it makes any difference, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to shoot some jacketed bullets. However, I usually start using cast bullets from the git go. I think there's a lot of unfounded speculation in the gun world.

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Clean well after 5 rds or so, until you get any and all copper out. Then shoot
5 more. The copper alloy jackets will smooth the barrel noticably and better
if there is less copper coating to cover the roughness and prevent it from
being smoothed.

I use Barnes CR-10 to get copper out.

Bill

44man
05-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Clean well after 5 rds or so, until you get any and all copper out. Then shoot
5 more. The copper alloy jackets will smooth the barrel noticably and better
if there is less copper coating to cover the roughness and prevent it from
being smoothed.

I use Barnes CR-10 to get copper out.

Bill
That is the best way.
Some guns need smoothing but it seems all the last guns my friends and I have bought shoot lead from round one after cleaning the factory stuff out.

Bo1
05-10-2013, 08:39 AM
What Bill said... :coffee:

runfiverun
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
i'm with james.
[shrug] i'd maybe shoot the copper ones unless they are something special just to get the brass if I needed it.
all the new guns I have bought recently have gone straight to lead with just a patch down the barrel.
I don't try and look for issues right off, they'll show up on their own.

winelover
05-11-2013, 08:15 AM
I always test fire a new gun with factory fodder just to make sure it passes muster. The manufacture has no justification to void the warranty if there was an oversight during manufacture. When I'm sure it's reliable, I switch over to cast. I never worried too much about getting all the copper out after firing J-words. After all, most of us use bronze (copper alloy) brushes wrapped with copper chore boys for removing traces of lead, anyways. Plus a lot of us shoot copper gas checked boolets. There are many that recommend firing several J-words at the end of a session of lead boolets to facilitate the cleaning process.
I just do my regular cleaning when I feel like it's necessary.

Winelover

05-11-2013, 09:13 AM
What Bill said, also. I use janitorial strength ammonia to remove copper. Cheaper that gun stuff in 4 oz bottles and very effective. Couple bucks a gallon. Use a good gun oil after cleaning.

MtGun44
05-12-2013, 01:08 AM
+1 on 725's comments.

Janitor's ammonia works well, but will promote rust if not thoroughly removed.

Bill

rintinglen
05-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Janitor's ammonia works well, but will promote rust if not thoroughly removed.--Mtngn44 Bill

Very, very true, I would not use it on a blue gun. You are just begging for a freckled finish. On a Stainless gun, not a problem.