PDA

View Full Version : Which ball the culprit?

Hogtamer
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I worked up a 2 ball that works great - 3 out of 5 shots :mad: 2 - .570 balls in-line in a 20 ga shot cup within a 12 ga multimetal wad. 3 out of 5 times I get the balls on target with a 4 - 5" vertical spread that is devastating. The other 2 times I get one ball on target and 1 flyer...what the heck accounts for this inconsistency? Same hull, same load. Is it most likely the front (target end) or back ball that goes wacky? Give me your best idea and what I might do about it please. BTW, my goal was to come up with a buck load and a slug load that would perform @ 50 yds. This load seems to be the best of both if I can reign in that too frequent flyer. Thanks.

SuperBlazingSabots
05-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Good morning HogTamer, did you separate the two balls with a .125 nitro card in between?
If you still have space for another .125 nitro card in wad before you put the RB in wad should help too as it will keep the plastic base of the wad from wrapping around the bottom RB and not release it instantly!
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/1220GaCommodorecopy.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/Dantebeowulf/media/1220GaCommodorecopy.jpg.html)
just to give you an idea.

Try firing 2 shots with a 30 seconds gap then 20 second gap to keep the barrel from warming up like under ideal hunting situation you would not be firing 5 shots.

Very important to have a real good OP wad for gas seal to start with.

"No man is a failure who is enjoying life at the range."- Blazing Sabots

Best regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl

Hogtamer
05-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Good thought, I've got some Federal hulls coming and will try that. It's a tight fit now in a Winchester hull.

pipehand
05-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I went and re-read James Gate's Tri-Ball Revisited post, and he said that if one of three balls was a flyer, it was due to too tight a choke. I don't know if that applies to your gun, or even if it is applicable to the two ball setup. Is it possible the ball closest to the bottom of the wad is not releasing?

OnHoPr
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Another thing to consider is are they soft balls or hard balls. If they are soft they might be deforming on setback. If you can dig them out of the berm. Then inspect them to see how they are handling the set back. On my buckshot load there was a big difference from lead, to WWs, to WDWWs. My buckshot load is now filled with WDWW .314s.

Hogtamer
05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Soft lead is right, but no imprint in the shot cup. It' a wad in a wad. The multimetal outer wad is about .63 o.d. And my screw-in full on my 870 rem is about .685 I.d. , still a little room.

Hogtamer
05-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Got a good 20 ga load ready for grandson, 2 stacks #3 buck in bottom of Rem. wad w/buffer, one .570 ball on top, buffer to even the top and perfect crimp in AA hull. Da Bomb to 30 yds.

runfiverun
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I think i'd try the card between the balls, maybe even a piece of tyvek would be enough.