View Full Version : Large GC shank Lee C312-185-1R

Boolseye
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi Folks,
My mold has a GC shank of just over .290", which makes installing copper or aluminum
.30 cal GCs a bit of a chore. Call me lazy, but I just want to be able to slip the GC on the shank, run it through the sizer and be done! Pounding with a hammer for every bullet does not appeal to me. Suggestions?
-BE

Ben
05-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I'd send that puppy back to Lee with 3 of your bullets and ask them to put a gas check on them.

Those gas check shanks are .006 too big.

I believe you'd find that Lee would send you a new mold.

Ben

Boolseye
05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Thanks, Ben. I believe I will,

DeanWinchester
05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I had one do that. I made a punch that I could open up gas checks a wee bit. Then I got sick and tired of it and sold it on sleeze-bay.

Definitely send it back.

fcvan
05-10-2013, 11:32 PM
If I had that mold I would make the 30 checks from thinner material. I accidentally bought the wrong thickness of material and so checks stayed put on one mold but were loose on the other. I have since purchased the correct thickness of material and the checks work great on both boolits. I agree with sending the mold back as having to modify factory checks or make other than standard checks just so they work is not acceptable. It would seem that mold would be a good candidate for modifying to plain base.

Boolseye
05-11-2013, 10:40 AM
It would seem that mold would be a good candidate for modifying to plain base.
Ya know, that's a good idea too. I may just keep it and get me some thinner checks to try. Also, they shoot OK w/ no GC at lower speeds. Thanks everyone
-BE

fcvan
05-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Boolseye, PM sent

338RemUltraMag
05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I could run you some .011 checks, they would work if sizing to .311 or less

JeffinNZ
05-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Jim at CBE makes his .303 Brit shanks .290 to allow for generous grooves. I have a little punch I made to splaying open Hornady checks to fit. Bit of a PITA but it works. Ben is right. Send it back.

Boolseye
05-12-2013, 06:55 AM
I could run you some .011 checks, they would work if sizing to .311 or less
thank you for the offer. Looks like another member's gonna send me a few.

338RemUltraMag
05-13-2013, 04:17 AM
No problem

blikseme300
05-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Jim at CBE makes his .303 Brit shanks .290 to allow for generous grooves. I have a little punch I made to splaying open Hornady checks to fit. Bit of a PITA but it works. Ben is right. Send it back.

Jeff, I made a punch as well to open up Hornady GC's to fit the generous shank on the boolits from a custom mold I have. The main PITA I ran into is how to get the GC's off the end of the punch without distorting them? I have been contemplating machining a unit that will fit a single stage press to do this chore.

Anybody with any ideas or suggestions?

338RemUltraMag
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Jeff, I made a punch as well to open up Hornady GC's to fit the generous shank on the boolits from a custom mold I have. The main PITA I ran into is how to get the GC's off the end of the punch without distorting them? I have been contemplating machining a unit that will fit a single stage press to do this chore.

Anybody with any ideas or suggestions?

What is the shank size and wanted final diameter? I could possibly run you a special thickness to fix that problem.

Boolseye
05-20-2013, 11:20 PM

Anybody with any ideas or suggestions? I just solved my problem that very same way, blik. Discovered that I had a punch kicking around of exactly the right diameter–what're the chances? anyway, I found that dragging/flicking the check off with the corner of a piece of hardwood
did the trick with no distortion of an aluminum check.
BE