PDA

View Full Version : remington 40x 22 to 22 mag

Jens
05-08-2013, 11:58 PM
any body give any thought reaming a single shot 40x 22 to 22 win mag? are the twist rates and bore dia. the same? what else would you have to do? thanks Jens

Doc Highwall
05-09-2013, 09:59 AM
22 Mag cost about .25 cents a round and is not accurate. No gun manufacture makes a target rifle in 22 Mag and guarantee's accuracy.

If you have one in 22 Lr. do yourself a favor and do not alter it.

Bullshop
05-09-2013, 10:30 AM
To my understanding a 22 LR has a .223" groove and a 22 mag has a .224" groove. Re-chambering from LR to mag may have the effect of raising pressure possibly enough to rupture a case rim. Cant say for sure but it is something to think about.

Iowa Fox
05-09-2013, 12:37 PM
If you want a 22 Mag just buy one of the cheap bolt actions. There are plenty out there and they shoot pretty good. Don't butcher a 40X to try a Mag.

JeffinNZ
05-09-2013, 06:28 PM
If you want a 22 Mag just buy one of the cheap bolt actions. There are plenty out there and they shoot pretty good. Don't butcher a 40X to try a Mag.

+1. Please don't alter the 40X on a lemon cartridge.

Lefty SRH
05-10-2013, 04:39 AM
I'd hardly consider a .22 mag a "lemon cartridge" but I wouldn't alter a 40x .22LR either. I have a Savage 93 in .22 mag and it performs VERY well.

Doc Highwall
05-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Lefty SRH, what kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards with your Savage 93 in .22 mag?

I have a Cooper 57M in 22Lr. and when talking to the owner he said he guaranteed the accuracy of all his guns except 22 Mag. because of the inconsistencies of the ammo.

I know I can shoot well under a inch for 10 shots prone with a sling with my Anschutz, I never heard of a 22 Mag doing that.

Reg
05-10-2013, 09:45 AM
In addition to bore diameter problems you would have a almost impossible problem in making it feed from a magazine.

Lefty SRH
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Lefty SRH, what kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards with your Savage 93 in .22 mag?

I have a Cooper 57M in 22Lr. and when talking to the owner he said he guaranteed the accuracy of all his guns except 22 Mag. because of the inconsistencies of the ammo.

I know I can shoot well under a inch for 10 shots prone with a sling with my Anschutz, I never heard of a 22 Mag doing that.

Its left handed 93G, nothing special. I use it to hunt hogs in an area where we can't always use centerfire. I have not test my rifle for accuracy at 100yds. I have had 3 rounds touch (several times) at 50yds which is where I have it zeroed. I realize this isn't Anshutz accuracy, but they don't cost as much as an Anschutz either.

Ben
05-10-2013, 11:40 AM
There is no way that I'd consider altering the .22 LR , 40 X.

boltaction308
05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree, dont alter the 40x, find someone to trade you a 22 mag for your 40X, or sell it and then buy a 22 mag.

EDG
05-10-2013, 10:58 PM
The .22 WMR has a bad reputation that it should not have. Take a look at the maximum chamber and minimum cartridge drawings. The fit is sloppy and the jump of the bullet to the start of the rifling is long. Like another guy commented. They let the rabbits that were going to be shot at design the chamber.

Doc Highwall
05-11-2013, 05:10 AM
EDG, even with a match chamber, Cooper would not guaranteed the accuracy because the amunition was not match quality.

I ask people, if 22 Mag is so good how come nobody makes a target rifle chambered for it?

country gent
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
My question is as I dont have a 40 X here to measure out. Most were single shots so mag isnt an issue. But is the action opening/bolt stroke long enough to eject a loaded round? The mag is somewhat longer then the long rifle. Can remember some long range rifles with short actions and longer cartridges on the line where a cease fire ment pulling the bolt to get a loaded round out. Was a slow process and a lot of extra fiddling around.

Jens
05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
well i am not going to alter the remington. i will look around for a savage or marlin bolt action. have not seen a anschutz for sale in a long time around here. there is a 9422m comeing up for sale.dont know if a expenisve lever action would make me happy.

country gent
05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
When I had the 22 magnum bug I was watching LGSs racks for one and came accross a an old Savage in 22 hornet. It has done everything the mag would do and then some is reloadable and just a fun pleasant rifle. ( even lead me into building a martini cadet in 218 bee. LOL). At the time Hornets and 22 mag were almost the same cost for factory ammo. Dad Has a win 9422mag that shoots good but not "target grade" accuracy. It is min of woodchuck at 100 yds or so.

NSB
05-11-2013, 05:19 PM
My stock Savage 22mag will shoot groups of 1.3 - 1.5" at a 100 yds. I didn't buy it for a target gun. I don't believe they make target guns in this caliber since there isn't a market for them. People buy them to hunt with. The accuracy is more than good enough for what they are intended to do. Bore diameter between 22lr and 22mag is actually the same if you measure and average bore diameters and bullet diameters. There is a huge overlap of dimensions. Ruger has been making convertable guns for years with no problems and both chamberings shoot very well. That said, I wouldn't butcher a target rifle to make a 22mag. Just buy a Savage. Sell the target gun and you'll have money left over.

uscra112
05-11-2013, 10:36 PM
I would disown any son of mine that altered a 40x.

Meanwhile, instead of .22 Magnum, try a .223 using 7.5 grains of Red Dot and a 50 grain hollowpoint. Gives .22 Mag velocity, is as accurate as my Stevens 200 will shoot anything, and shoots to the same zero at 80 yards that my full-power coyote load does at 150. Cheaper per shot than .22 Mag ammo, too.

Jens
05-25-2013, 02:52 PM
thats funny my dad talked me out of trying to ream out a 22 colt diamond back to 22mag about 30 years ago. i was thinking of him when i was looking at my 40x. smart advice. i did get that 9422m have not shot it yet got busy trying to get the garden in. for what i paid for it i could have bought a nice looking new savage bolt action. i might get that savage any how if it is still at the gun store next month thanks jens

Four Fingers of Death
06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
I think a lot of trouble with the 22Mag was the early ammo. It is generally better now.

In 1988 a guy at work tried to sell me his 22Mag Sterling (filipino bolt rifle). I said I wasn't interested as I didn't get out hunting much at the time (apart from forays in the brush around the back of the prison complex and the big hospital up the road from the prison with my 22cal Diana 52 Side cocker Air Rifle after rabbits and the odd rat) and if I got out hunting, I wanted to shoot one of my centerfires. He pestered me for a year or so and was a real pain in the rear. One day I lost patience with him and knowing I had a fifty dollar note and a five dollar note in my pocket, pulled it out and opening it,I pulled the fifty out and said 'look, I will give you fifty dollars, if you don't like that quit, annoying me about it!' He snatched the note off me and wrote his address on a bit of paper. I virtually had to drive past his place on the way home.

I picked the rifle up and it came with a cleaning kit and a shoe box of ammo! The ammo was worth well over the $50. It was like new and there were only a few rounds out of a few of the packets. I shot it at the range and it shot pretty good, way better than my mate's Anschutz, which annoyed the bee-gee-zuz out of him. I took it hunting a few times, it worked well and I sold it to my mate with the Anschutz for $125 and sold the ammo to a few guys and cleared well over $50 for it. Gotta get a win every now and then.

I didn't mind the round, better than a 22LR, especially when it was a bit windy and it extended the range you could hunt at by a fair margin. Kills on rabbits were emphatic. I went with my mate one freezing cold night, he had a license to cull kangaroos and he used a 22Mag. They all went straight down with head shots. Too dear to plink with, but great for small game hunting. Better on foxes than the 22LR.

I'm glad you didn't butcher the 40Xb, they are a classy rifle.

Two 9422s in 22Mag appeared on the shelf at teh local gunshop a month ago. They both had a sold sticker on them. The owner of the shop said he got them from an estate, his offsider cleaned one, wrote out a price tag for it and put it on the shelf, a guy walked in before he had got the second one out to clean it saw it and flashed the plastic immediately. As they were putting the second one on the shelf, someone asked to have a look at it and bought it straightaway. The 9422s sell like hotcakes here!

Alan in Vermont
06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
In addition to bore diameter problems you would have a almost impossible problem in making it feed from a magazine.

I guess you missed the part in the OP where it plainly states it is a single shot.

blixen
06-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I have owned several .22 mags--2mossbergs, marlin 833, marlin semi,
a savage. The best accuracy I could get, testing several different ammos was 3/4" at 50 yards. With the savage and the marlins. That's ok for jacks under 75 yards but not interesting to me. Woulda kept the semi, but the trigger was awful and I couldn't figure out how to tune it.
That said I wonder if Henry .22 mags are tack drivers like their .22lr?