PDA

View Full Version : Improving Savage 99 trigger pull

wmitty
05-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Purchased a Model 99 in .300 Savage recently and while waiting for a set of dies I was hoping to smooth the release of the sear/striker. Is there anything to be done other than polishing the surface of each?

MtGun44
05-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Typically you polish and lighten the trigger and/or sear springs in any
trigger mechanism. No experience with the S99, but I have done
triggers on many other guns. The general principles are similar.

Bill

gnoahhh
05-09-2013, 08:43 AM
As long as polishing is all you do, you're ok. The Savage trigger/sear relationship is tricky and any subtle change incurred by metal removal can prove disastrous. (Pretty much standard advise for most all triggers.)

wmitty
05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
I can see that removing metal would be a mistake. I have another 99 which has a considerably smoother trigger and was wondering why this one could not be polished to an equally smooth release. The only spring involved (as near as I can tell) is the trigger return spring, which is a flat spring. The sear engagement is non adjustable and I don't think I will go grinding on anything to try to reduce it. Well, thanks for your input, gentlemen!

max range
05-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I have built AR's and M-1's from scratch. Same for M-1911 autos. Can strip all the way down and reassemble an Ithaca pump shotgun. One firearm I would never attempt to strip down would be a Savage 99. It is a very, very complicated design and parts are not easy to find. Proceed with caution.

Frank46
05-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Trigger jobs on the 99 can be very tricky. I've just polished mine and let it go at that. If you take too much metal off can be downright dangerous. Mine is an older 99R in 300 savage. Frank

kbstenberg
05-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Wmitty I had the worst trigger pull of any rifle I have ever owned! I disassembled my rifle with the help of an exploded diagram. Looked at the trigger mechanism and figured out what had to be smoothed and reduced. Now the Sav 99 has a very good trigger. GO SLOW, KEEP TESTING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. I can see how it would be easy to over do it. Kevin