PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag XX furnace problem

Shuz
05-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I contacted Lyman about my Mag XX thermostat problem and they told me that they no longer offer any replacement thermostats. Does anyone know where I could buy a replacement thermostat that would work. Furnace heats up to 900+ degrees and won't go any lower.
Now, I'm not an appliance repairman, nor do I play one on TV, but I'd like to think that a thermostat from a pottery kiln or other like equipment otta be adaptable?! Anybody done such a fix on a Mag XX?

fecmech
05-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Shuz--If you have a local stove and appliance repair parts place in the area they should have a thermostat that will work. The main concern is that you get one with the capacity to handle the pot wattage, that's it. Should be pretty simple to wire in. The thermostat is nothing but a bimetallic snap switch. When it heats up the arm of the switch expands away from the other arm to open the circuit, when it cools it contracts and makes contact. Good luck

silverman1
05-11-2013, 07:59 PM
First try RCBS,the pro melt 20 is the same furnace,different color.
I had a 10# lyman pot,bad thermostat,lyman said they were no longer made.( tell me another one!)Then who make the ones for the new pot?
I got the co. name off the old thermostat,and had to order 5 of them to get any.
The replacemants,are not preset for a lead pot,and have to be set to a pyrometer,to work right.
When you take off the knob on these,there is a allen set screw in the center of the 1/4 in shaft,the knob goes on,and it controlls one direction,but I do not remember if it is on,or off,and there is a ''stop'' on the shaft,the If i remember controlls how hot it gets,and this had to be slid off,set to max heat,and pressed back on.
It took me most of a day to get everything adjusted right.
I sold al the spares on ebay.
If I had to do it all over again,I would buy a digital PID controller,to use with a contactor,and use a type K thermocouple ,to controll it.
They are a lot more accurate,than the mechanical version,and with the push of a couple of buttons,you can controll the deg.,cycle temperature,which also controlls the amount of time on.
If you are casting,for a 45-70 SS, and bullet weight is critical @ 100 yds,controlling the temp. real close,will cast really consistant bullets.
If you cast say for a handgun for plinking,it does not matter much.