PDA

View Full Version : "Sweaty" ingots

05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Did some smelting today of some isotope cores and cast them into ingots made from muffin pans. Those turned out as expected in appearance. However, I made some mini ingots in a miniature muffin pan I picked up at a garage sale last weekend. They come out a little smaller than the Wally World condiment cups.

When I dumped the ingots from the pan, nearly all had a "sweaty" appearance and a rough texture where they were in contact with the pan. It looked as is air bubbles where trapped between the lead and the pan. FWIW the pan was clean and dry before any lead was poured.

Just curious what caused this, and wanted to make sure I didn't get away with something.

Best

ffries61
05-08-2013, 06:14 PM
were they non-stick pans ? I had the same thing happen to me, I just assumed its some sort of out gassing happening with the Teflon coating and the high heat, if that's what it is, be careful the fumes from that are un-healthy.

Fred

Andrew Mason
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
that same thing happens with my ingots
(soda cans)

i have just grown used to it, and no longer pay any mind to it.

once you melt it again, you wont even remember

05-08-2013, 07:40 PM
were they non-stick pans ? I had the same thing happen to me, I just assumed its some sort of out gassing happening with the Teflon coating and the high heat, if that's what it is, be careful the fumes from that are un-healthy.

Fred

No coatings, just plain aluminum.

bbqncigars
05-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I've had this happen with my old cast iron muffin tin. It doesn't affect anything, they just ain't purty.

05-12-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm wondering if air bubbles trapped under the pour are causing it. Maybe the air can't push through the lead? My main concern was that I was doing something wrong and asking for some sort of mini eruption from the pan.