PDA

View Full Version : Turkish vs. Spanish (.308) Mauser pricing

blixen
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
The gun market is so volatile right now that I need some input. I have a craving for a new toy.

I came across a Turkish Mauser--really good shape -- in fact almost too good. Do a lot of the Turks come with light-colored, lightly oiled wood or has this thing been refinished? Metal good and very crisp rifling. Rear sight hinge pin is missing. The shop is asking $180.

Shop also has a Spanish Mauser in .308 that has been 'sporterized'-- not too awful. Stock's been shortened and a very nice 1950's receiver sight put on it. Also tapped for a scope. I've been looking for a .308 Mauser in military condition, but this might be the best I can do. Same price as the Turk, which i think is way too high for a bubbized rifle.

But, as I said, the market is all over the place. Whatch'all think?

UBER7MM
05-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Blixen,

Turks and Spanish Mausers can be found as either 98 and 95 actions. If I had my choice, I'd go with a 98 action (cock on open) with the a 308 chambering. The 95s and Turk 91 actions (cock on close) aren't as strong, are missing gas release holes in the bolt & chamber. Also they are missing the gas shield on the bolt shroud. In some circles they are not considered a health combination paired with the hot loaded 308s.
Can you describe the actions of the rifles you are considering? Please advise.
I hope this helps,

blixen
05-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Sorry. i wasn't clear. The Turk appears to be a 1903/1938 in 8x57mm. (which i have dies and a mold for). It's intact except for the cleaning rod.
I'll check the cock on open on the Turk ASAP.

The spanish mauser has been rebarreled in .308, and at that pricei I'm not really that interested in it because it's been chopped up. So, let's just knock it out of the discussion.

Dutchman
05-08-2013, 08:32 PM
I came across a Turkish Mauser--really good shape -- in fact almost too good. Do a lot of the Turks come with light-colored, lightly oiled wood or has this thing been refinished? Metal good and very crisp rifling. Rear sight hinge pin is missing. The shop is asking $180.

It's true that the majority of Turkish Mausers came into the U.S. in used and well used condition. It is also true that some came in that had been obviously arsenal re-habbed. I know because I bought one that fits your description to a "t". Light hue wood like beech, fresh black finish, new barrel. It was real nice which is why I bought it.

At $180 I'd think it would be the superior rifle of the two you describe. Most/all of the Turk Mausers are German or Czech actions.

Dutch

copperlake
05-08-2013, 09:54 PM
The gun market is so volatile right now that I need some input. I have a craving.

Blixen, is this kinda what you're looking at?:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340099037

If it is, I wouldn't pass it up seeing as how you've got a bad itch. It will not lose value, you can bet on that.

blixen
05-08-2013, 10:40 PM
is this kinda what you're looking at?

Looks like the twin. Thanks. I'll give a closer look in the next couple days and compare markings.

copperlake
05-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Vintage (I hate that word) gun prices and volatility? Check out this piece of insanity:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339589397

Who would drop 700 bucks with shipping for a ruined Carcano, unless you are channeling L. H. Oswald, and even at that, it's the wrong model. I love GunBroker, I've gotten some tremendous deals recently but at times I'm flabbergasted at what some things go for. 17 bidders no less.

Makes that 180 and no shipping look pretty good.

Uncle Grinch
05-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The 1903/38 Turk should be a much better rifle than the Spanish 308 in my opinion. Even if both are 98 Mausers, I'd still go with the Turk. Originally it was chambered in 7.65x53 (7.65 Arg) and was modified to accept the 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) in order to standardize their armament. The rear of the front receiver ring should have a "notch" cut in it to allow for the longer 8mm catridge. All that I have even seen were made in Germany and should be a quality rifle, outside of the abuse of wear and tear. The characteristic features are the high charger hump and the bolt stop that extends over the left side of the hump to aid min holding the stripper clips.

They make nice sporters and the 8mm is still a decent cartridge.

DCM
05-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Vintage (I hate that word) gun prices and volatility? Check out this piece of insanity:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=339589397

Holysheep! That is almost 10X what it is worth!
More than one born every minute.

blixen
05-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Holysheep! That is almost 10X what it is worth!
More than one born every minute.

Maybe that's because it comes with that high-quality gun case!