PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15 sight mounting

wv109323
05-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I will be building an AR in the near future in .223. I am going with a flat top and will be using a red dot type sight. The stock will be a 6 position collapsible. I have a Tasco pro point that I will try on it first. The barrel length will be 16 inches and no iron sights..
This will be a short range gun with shots under 100 yards.
My question is :Would you use the regular flat-top or would you use the flat-top that is 1" higher? Is the higher flat-top used mainly to get over the front sight or is it to raise the scope up for barrel/handgaurd clearance?

Larry Gibson
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
The 1" higher is just a built in "riser" so your eye can aligne with the scope mounted in standard or low rings. Note how high the sights are on a standard AR? the reason is the rear stock is straight with no drop so the sights have to be highs to use......same with the scope or red dot sight.

Larry Gibson

seagiant
05-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi,
Well, you want "iron" sights also! The red dot is fine but remember Murphy is alive and well! Also if you are going with a middle of the road red dot??? Here is a pic of my recent build with Magpul furniture and a Magpul flip up rear. The red dot is an Aimpoint M2 that the military used,that I picked up second hand!

Moonie
05-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I have this issue on my latest AR, I built it with the intent of having a removable carry handle with rear sight, wanted the classic look. I have since decided to add a red dot to it and the front sight is interfering, the small riser will fix that issue. I wouldn't want the high rise upper because I do still want the ability to put the carry handle back on and have a rear sight. If you don't want to use iron sights (the high rise upper wouldn't work well with a rear sight) why not use a gas block without a front sight?