PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with Savage model 73

trooperdan
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
I have a little model 73, bolt action, single shot .22. I think it is missing a few parts, at least the safety spring and the trigger bar, part 14 on the schematic. The bolt won't close and it appears the hammer is not staying on cock. The bolt encounters hard and firm resistance about half closed. I can't really understand what is to engage the hammer to hold it on cock.

Would appreciate any advice!

trooperdan
05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
No help anyone?

starmac
05-18-2013, 12:50 AM
I don't have any answer for you, but a post in the gunsmith forum might turn up something.

2AMMD
05-20-2013, 10:28 PM
trooperdan,

I recently refurbished a Revelation Model 101 single shot(same gun sold by Western Auto stores)
With respect to the hammer not staying on cock, the hammer/trigger assembly is easily removed from the receiver. If it doesn't work after a complete cleaning, or parts appear to be missing, that is work for a qualified gunsmith for obvious safety precautions. The safety spring is actually a spring steel push rod that puts the safety in the on position when the bolt opens. You could make it from a piece of the correct diameter spring steel. If you want to try, I can send you a picture and dimensions. As for the bolt not closing, the barrel has to be removed in order to remove the bolt so you can inspect the bolt and machined area of the barrel the bolt travels in to see what the problem may be. The barrel isn't easy to remove from the receiver, but it can be done with patience and caution to prevent damaging the barrel or receiver. If you want to try this, send me your email address and I'll try to write up the method that worked for me, with some pictures that might help. In the end, you may end up spending more to get the gun functional than it is worth. Up to you to decide what it is worth to you. Also, don't try to force the bolt. It is small and not very strong, and neither is the bolt handle attachment.