PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk stopped shooting well

superior
05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
My RBH 7.5 45 colt is practically new and has been super accurate until now. A few days ago, I decided to take it out for some target fun using the same ammo that I had loaded last year. Instead of my usual 2" groups at 25 yards, the best it would do was 5" !!! Yikes! And that was AFTER I had to crank the sights almost all the way to the right and changing the elevation adjustment enough to raise the poi 7" !!
Now, looking at the gun, you can see the rear sight way over ( looks terrible ) and raised way up ! So my question is : could something have changed with the ammo?
Could the boolits have shrunk?
Lee 452-255-rf. and
Lee 452-300-rf
I need help!

WARD O
05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Are you holding, resting the Black Hawk differently this time out? Is the barrel clean - no leading from last time? Just a couple of things to check.

ward

Doc_Stihl
05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Sounds like your rear sight is loose. The spring under the elevator might have come loose if you had the rear sight elevated WAY up previously.

superior
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Sounds like your rear sight is loose. The spring under the elevator might have come loose if you had the rear sight elevated WAY up previously.

No, the rear sight was always pretty much centered for wind age and elevation. I used to be sooo proud of the way it shot! I nailed a fox at 30 yards once, while sitting on the tractor. Now, I wouldn't even take the shot. I suppose I'll scrub the bore with a bristle brush. So far, all I've ever done was pull- throughs with a solvent soaked patch. It's had a total of maybe 100 rounds fired through it. Hopefully, it only needs cleaning.

PS Paul
05-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Likely a combination of sights and need for cleaning. You'll know for sure if you try some different ammo after cleaning. Although lead will change BHN over time (harden then soften), THAT is not likely the issue. I have a feeling the issue with sights that you suspect already is THE biggest problem.

375RUGER
05-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Hopefully it only needs cleaning but if that doesn't straighten it up check the crown carefully for a nick. From your description a nick would appear at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position looking at the muzzle.

superior
05-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Hopefully it only needs cleaning but if that doesn't straighten it up check the crown carefully for a nick. From your description a nick would appear at about the 4 or 5 o'clock position looking at the muzzle.
I've inspected the crown, even though nothing has ever contacted it. I'm very careful in that respect. I shoot the same ammo in the Rossi 92 with excellent results, so I suspect the problem is cleaning related. I guess every so often ya just gotta scrub the bore. I was hoping I would never have to, but that's just unreasonable thinking, I suppose.

WARD O
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
If you pull the cylinder from the gun and grab a good bore light you can give the bore a close inspection from the back end as well as the front end. If you happen to have collected enough lead to throw shots around like you've mentioned then you won't have any trouble seeing the lead in the bore.

ward

Clay M
05-08-2013, 06:20 PM
If it is leaded,it won't hit the side of a barn. Same goes for copper jacket material in a barrel. I always clean everything out , even at the range if necessary.

rond
05-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I would try some factory ammo or fresh reloads to make sure it's not an ammo problem. Also I have found that the older I get the harder it is to get small groups with the handguns.

Clay M
05-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Also I have found that the older I get the harder it is to get small groups with the handguns.

That is for sure.I think I hit my prime with a handgun about twenty years ago,and have been going down hill ever since.

shooting on a shoestring
05-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Check your screws. Could be a couple of the five holding the grip frame on have backed loose.

nagantguy
05-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Had this same trouble with a SBH in .44 mag some years ago. Tried everything even sent it back to ruger and had a new barrel installed never got it back to snuff traded it off. Have other Blackhawks that shoot great. Still a mistery to me. Good luck brother.

44man
05-09-2013, 08:22 AM
I have to say a leaded bore. Boolits too soft to start with? Poor lube?
The gun did not change, you changed it. Clean it good and let us know. If it is lead, you need to change things.

Jeff82
05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
You should clean it with a tight jag. A bristle brush and patch won't do much IMHO. I've often cleaned guns with a patch and brush and could detect no leading. Then using a jag I would push out tons of crud. "Track of the Wolf' sells suitable jags.

Whether there is a problem with your bullets cannot be determined, until you've cleaned your barrel. 45 Colt cartridges usually are pretty tolerant of cast bullets though.

superior
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I have to say a leaded bore. Boolits too soft to start with? Poor lube?
The gun did not change, you changed it. Clean it good and let us know. If it is lead, you need to change things.
I'm sure it's pilot error. I thought that the gas checked rounds would clean up after the plain based, but again, just wishfully thinking. I have faith in Ruger quality and as soon as I have a day off, I'll figure it out. Ty all.

Clay M
05-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I haven't found much that will get the lead out of a barrel other than scrubbing it down with a brush and some solvent .It is a PITA. That is why I try not to get the it leaded to start with,but sometimes it can't be helped.

MtGun44
05-10-2013, 01:50 AM
+1 on check for crown damage, but if that isn't the case, the next is cleaning the bore
perfectly clean.

Bill

superior
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
I scrubbed the bore with a brush yesterday and my groups are now respectable again!
I didn't see very much lead, but I guess it doesn't take much to throw things out of whack. I did the cylinder bores also. The wind age adjustment is back to normal now and after a few shots, the groups settled down into tight little clusters. I was able to bring the elevation adjustment down considerably also. Now I realize the difference a little cleaning can make ( or lack of) !!
I'm a happy camper again. ��

44man
05-10-2013, 10:12 PM
That makes me happy.
Now you need to stop leading so you never have to clean the barrel.

runfiverun
05-10-2013, 10:54 PM
definitely time to make a change somewhere.
it sounds like you have most of the equasion figured out but missed a sign.
that sign is the lead build up.
I would attempt a harder boolit first.

Rodfac
05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Without reading the entire thread: check the cylinder rod is fully seated and the cross bolt that secures it is seated as well. Rod

9.3X62AL
05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Glad to read that a good cleaning fixed the issue. Lead fouling--powder fouling--carbon fouling, all can cause havoc if present in sufficient amounts. With my lead-shooting guns, I don't clean the bores until accuracy starts to fall off.......and can take a whole lot of shooting in some cases. Once done, I shoot 10-15 rounds before hitting the Panic Button, because a good lead-shooting barrel needs a bit of seasoning after a clean-out to return to ideal shooting shape. I've had more trouble with hard carbon fouling than with lead, copper, or smokeless powder fouling.

rintinglen
05-13-2013, 03:55 AM
When I was shooting Lever action silhouette matches, I saw many instances of improper boolits (too soft, too small, too hard) leading up a bore and turning a good gun into a lousy one. It doesn't take a lot of lead to do it either. The lead deposits won't be even and will cause subsequent shots to go wild. The only cure at that point is a good cleaning. Then, fix your boolits so you don't have the problem anymore.

WARD O
05-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Now comes the fun part - trying to find out how to make sure it doesn't happen again......

ward