PDA

View Full Version : Quality - Thompson and Lyman

tacotime
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
I know the Lyman's are made by Investarm and they have a good reputation for quality and accuracy. What about the Thompson BP guns? I saw a few negative comments. Anyone have direct experience with the Thompsons? Prefer a USA made product if possible...

OverMax
05-08-2013, 12:42 PM
OP you never stated which model of rifle (traditional or inline?) I can only comment on the traditional T/C models.

I have 5 of their traditional rifles. From 45 cal up to a 58 Big bore. One flint and 4 Cap locks. One Renagade and 4 Hawken's. The only real belly-ache I hear mostly about T/Cs is their pricing from those who don't own one. But T/Cs across the counter Warranty to its original owner is the best in the business and second to none concerning pre-assembled. See if you can get a Lifetime Warranty from Lyman or any of those other off shore made traditional rifles. As far as cost. To make anything on the East coast especially a living. The cost of living there is perhaps the highest in the Nation. So your apt to pay all little more $$ to help support another American citizen. That's how we all get by isn't it? (the purchasing of American products made here)

The only problematic part I've encountered since owning my rifles has been a Fly of all things to go bad on one of my 54s. Called T/C and asked to purchase a new one (because at the time I wasn't sure if it broke or just wore out?) T/C sent me a new Fly in 4 days. (no cost to me not even postage)
T/Cs are well made and finished. Nothing too bazaar in their twist rates to figure out what they shoot best. (P/Rb or conical.) Just a good well made American product that will last a lifetime if taken care of properly. I bought all my rifles between the years 81 thur 83 from Fox Ridge and haven't ever regretted doing so. My advice for any factory made item: Buy the best and most expensive. That way there's no second guessing yourself later on>wishing you did.

O/M

TenTea
05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
The TC's are very nice arms and have been for many a year.
The double set triggers on the Hawkens are excellent too.
No direct experience with the Lyman rifles, but they look nice.
I have had occasion to call TC for *customer service* and they have been top notch and very helpful.

Hanshi
05-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I've only owned one T/C and it was a .50 Hawken. The only thing I can think of to criticize might be the stock. It is just a tad "clunky".

30-30
05-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I have 5 thompsons .3 hawkens, 1 renegad ,1 white mountain carbine. Thompson only garrantees original owner .i bought all of mine used so no garrantee. that sucks. they do not have parts for sale there is none .they no longer make or sell there hawken . I have called them and sent email and have had no good results.nobody will fix a simple tumbler broken part. I have found parts on e-bay but at a high price after they sold out to S&W there going down hill fast.

TenTea
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
caveat: The last time I called for customer service was probably 7 years ago. I think I needed some small rifle parts for a used piece I had acquired and they sent them to me gratis. Maybe things have changed?

tacotime
05-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Interesting... go on...

(OP was referring to the traditional BP guns).

TenTea
05-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Interesting... go on...

(OP was referring to the traditional BP guns).

Doesn't a Hawken cap lock fit that category?
It emulates a traditional BP rifled musket anyway...
I'm not a flinter, but have family that are. :wink:

Lonegun1894
05-08-2013, 05:12 PM
I have three Lyman GPRs and one TC HAwken, and all shoot equally well, and the quality seems about equal. I just prefer the way the GPR stock fits me so that is why the Lymans outnumber the TC.

starnbar
05-08-2013, 05:24 PM
I have a T/C Hawken 50 I bought back in the eighties it goes out every year with me or one of my sons for bp season here in fl got a few dings but it has never failed to work when needed and it has never broke down on me either.

starmac
05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I have had a cabellas hawken (left handed) for several years. The way I understand it, they are made by the same folks that make the lymans these days. I have no problems at all with the rifle and have never needed any customer service (YET).

10 ga
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM
I have 3 TC MLs. 2 Firehawks and 1 Encore ML. Course the Firehawks are the old "slamfire" design but they are quality guns, the Encore is good quality also. Have 1 Lyman a Whitetail hunter. It is nice too but being a hammer gun subject to the apples to oranges comparison. I have seen and handled many hammer style MLs that are relative to many different era of the ML. Comparing just those 2 manufactures IMHO the Lyman is a better hammer style rifles and the TC better in the inline and modern style. $.02

drhall762
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
I own a Lyman FL and would never think of trading it. I have had only one experience with T/C service and it was great beyond all my wildest expectations. I would not hesitate to purchase one of their products again.