PDA

View Full Version : How do I raise POI?

docone31
05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
I have a Navy .44 cap and ball pistol. It hits high. At 100yds it is six feet high.
The front sight is a piece of brass rod, and the hammer has a V-notch.
Do I replace the brass rod stock with a longer piece, do I dovetail and do a new sight, or do I deepen the V-notch.
I fire .45 Schofield with 30gns of Pyrodex P and 200gn Lee RNFP.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I do not know if the rod is threaded, or a Blind Rivet.

missionary5155
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Good morning
I am not sure how you place the front post into the rear sight. If you are already aiming so the smallest fraction of front post is visible then you can deepen the rear notch. If you are aiming with alot of the sight visible then drop that front sight deeper visualy.
If you cannot lower the front sight into the notch anymore I would add a dobber of JB Weld to the top of the front post. Roughen up the top of the post and put the dobber of JB on top. I am always amazed how well it sticks. After drying you can shape and paint it if desired.
You can also expoxy a white ball or a piece of rod on top. Again start with a clean rough surface.
Those are generally my simple solutions to a high shooter.
Mike in Peru

Mlcompound
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Those are some great ideas. Mental note saved.

Omnivore
05-08-2013, 05:11 PM
I pulled out the brass front sight and soldered a taller one in its place. Pretty simple. On my Pietta it was just staked in place, and not all that securely. Now I can align the top of the front post with the top of the hammer notch, like it should be. It's regulated to center a round ball, pushed by 30 grains of 3F, in a 5" bull, at 25 yards using a bull's eye hold. Works for me.

dbosman
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I was all set to send you directions and seed sources for taro, but that is lower case poi.

fouronesix
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm confused! POI means Point Of Impact

"How do I raise POI?" - you move the front sight in the opposite direction you want the POI to move. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the POI to move.

"It hits high. At 100yds it is six feet high."- well, if it is shooting high then you want to lower the POI.... I guess?

Nobade
05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Usually those brass post front sights are just staked in. I pull them out and replace with a taller one, some Loctite bearing retaining compound hols them tight but they can be removed if you wish. Had to do this to every Colt repro I have.

-Nobade

country gent
05-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Error in inches X sight radious in inches / range in inches will give a good figure of how much you need to move the sight. so 6"x 10" (est of sight radious) = 60 /3600 ( range in inches) = .0166 to zero at 100yds. I was given this equation ears ago by a friend to help get the rear sights low on my M1As. I normally set them up for a 1-2 clk zero at 200 yds with M852 or equivelent hndloads.

OverMax
05-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Trying to sight a typical C/B pistol in for 100 yards. Why?

O/M

docone31
05-08-2013, 11:09 PM
I did mean to lower the POI. I missed that typo.
I wasn't sure if it was threaded, or staked.
Why at 100yds? The errors are easy to see. I shot IHMSA years ago. You would be suprised how accurate the C/B pistols are at that range. It also keeps me on the other side of the line, away from the shooters. The ones that do not know the ammo, how to sight in, or even how to aim. They fire over there, I am away from them.

waksupi
05-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I heard the old ones were sighted for 300 yards from the factory.

fouronesix
05-08-2013, 11:47 PM
I did mean to lower the POI. I missed that typo.
I wasn't sure if it was threaded, or staked.
Why at 100yds? The errors are easy to see. I shot IHMSA years ago. You would be suprised how accurate the C/B pistols are at that range. It also keeps me on the other side of the line, away from the shooters. The ones that do not know the ammo, how to sight in, or even how to aim. They fire over there, I am away from them.

:mrgreen:
Got it! To lower the POI, the easiest would be to raise the front. A simple peg as front sight would seem fairly easy-- but the only thing I have against the peg (especially a tall peg) is that they would catch on everything. I'm thinking kind of a flattened peg with a contoured top so it doesn't snag everything. The bottom would be a peg to solder or stake into a hole in the barrel. The top would be flattened, forming a sort of small blade. Seems like that could be made tall enough and strong enough to be practical. If you look at a Remington M1858 C&B it has that type front sight.

I'll try to take a pic of one maņana to show how it looks.

Hellgate
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Below is my oft copied & pasted reply to the above sighting problem. The epoxied & reshaped brass screw method works the best for me to correct a high shooting Colt.

I've had a plethoria of Navies. Here's what I have done on different guns:
--Ground the rear notch a little wider and deeper with a Dremel cutting disc. Makes a better sight picture.
--Ground the tip of the hammer off in order to "lower" the rear sight and then Dremeled the notch deeper & wider. Be careful that you don't grind off too much or the barrel will block the front sight as mentioned before. You can sight down the barrel and see what kind of clearance you have to start with. Some guns don't have any. A longer or shorter trigger may raise or lower the arc of the hammer and thus change the heigth of the hammer but I have not intentionally done that but noticed more hammer above the barrel line after swapping out a trigger for a shorter one once.
--Filed off the bead very flat and epoxied a taller shotgun bead onto it.
--Filed off the front sight (or lifted it out of the hole) and epoxied a cut off #4X3/4" brass flat head wood screw (upside down). This fix made a nice tall bead/post that a little cold bluing "ages" it nicely and it looks good if you don't goop too much epoxy onto the barrel. Cut, size, & shape the "bead" before you glue it on.
--Have a gunsmith dovetail a front sight but only if the gun shoots way off to one side (too far off to merely cut the rear notch over a little). If the front sight needs to be drifted way over to the side, you're gonna get the creeps looking at the sight picture. I carefully (as in gorilla) bent the barrel to the left on one gun to make it shoot to POA. Looks alot better than having a drifted sight hanging off the side of the barrel.

OverMax
05-09-2013, 11:37 PM
You would be surprised how accurate the C/B pistols are at that range.

That Sir I didn't know. I just thought it was and extremely long way for an antiquated firearm.

I heard the old ones were sighted for 300 yards from the factory.
There is another bit of history I didn't know. (I'm learning more than I anticipated. I'm amazed at there capabilities)

Nobade
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
I don't know about 300, most originals I have seen hit about 10 inches high at 25 and were pretty well dead on at 50. To hit at 300 you'd have to hold maybe 8 feet high.

-Nobade

KCSO
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Move the rear sight in the direction you want the group to go and the front sight opposite. You will need to make a new higher front sight and have it soldered on. I prefer cutting a dovetail and putting on a higher fornt sight in either a silver blade or a gold bead. We do a lot of these.