05-08-2013, 02:57 AM
It is only a few months till huntin season starts. :killingpc

x101airborne
05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Gotta love a bag of fox tail squirrels!
Good eats!

Wolfer
05-08-2013, 09:37 PM
A few fried taters, some home grown maters ( or canned if if nothing else is available ) biscuits and gravy.
The rich folk don't eat that good!

NLS1
05-08-2013, 09:58 PM
You guys are making me hungry!

My kids love squirrel too! Wish we could hunt those right now, but not too long and it will be time.

Dan

DougGuy
05-08-2013, 10:09 PM
I could send the ones I have been shooting out of my garden! I was always taught not to eat them in summer, and with any luck time hunting season rolls around, they'll be purty thin around here, and I will have had a successful garden season.

It's funny how they learn. One learns to push his nose through the netting and break into the garden, a couple of others will learn that and follow suit. I've been re-educating them with a pellet rifle, wound a few and let them go back to the nesting tree, sure is a shortage of bushytails in the back yard lately! It works...

starmac
05-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Wonder what the old timers et in the summertime???

NLS1
05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I could send the ones I have been shooting out of my garden! I was always taught not to eat them in summer, and with any luck time hunting season rolls around, they'll be purty thin around here, and I will have had a successful garden season.

It's funny how they learn. One learns to push his nose through the netting and break into the garden, a couple of others will learn that and follow suit. I've been re-educating them with a pellet rifle, wound a few and let them go back to the nesting tree, sure is a shortage of bushytails in the back yard lately! It works...

What is the reasoning with not eating them in the summer? I never thought about it as I have only eaten ones I have head shot in the fall with a 22.

I have been thinning out mine with my bow. Got 10 or 12 last year as they chewed into the garbage cans and chewed on the garage, and made a big mess of things. I managed to graze one pretty hard and gave him a gimpy tail and back leg, he doesn't come in our yard any more.

Although one day there were several in the yard. So I grabbed the bow and skewered one, the others just stared at it. I ran to get another arrow, by the time I came back they were eating again, so I skewered a second one not two feet away. They just stared at it, so I got another arrow, and skewered a third a couple feet from them. They learn I suppose, but they are not too bright.

GARCIA
05-12-2013, 06:51 AM
"Wolves" actually the larva of the Bot Fly.
Big nasty grub that gets under the skin and sure is ugly.
Always hunted squirrels after the first heavy frost.
That's my story and I am sticking to it!:)

Tom

kbstenberg
05-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Garcia rabbits aren't supposed to be eaten in the summer also. But in their case it is because of a disease they carry. That can be transited to humans. The cooler (cold) fall weather kills any rabbits that have the disease.

NLS1
05-12-2013, 10:40 AM
"Wolves" actually the larva of the Bot Fly.

Tom

Garcia rabbits aren't supposed to be eaten in the summer also. But in their case it is because of a disease they carry. That can be transited to humans. The cooler (cold) fall weather kills any rabbits that have the disease.

That is good to know thanks you two, had no idea.

Dan

lead chucker
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Them squirrels look really good I haven't eaten one in years. My grandpa loved them. We would shoot them for him when we were kids. We don't have them where I love now. I miss chasing them around a tree.

Stephen Cohen
05-12-2013, 04:47 PM
(Don't have them where I love now) I guess it would make for interesting bedroom time. No offence intended just could not help myself.

OnHoPr
05-12-2013, 04:55 PM
They are one of my favorite species to hunt. They can provide a decent challenge. You can stalk, stillhunt, stand, call, team, dog, and probably a few other ways to hunt them. Not to mention the fall colors can be very picturesque. Along with not being bad table fodder.

Griz44mag
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
I guess it would make for interesting bedroom time
What? You never loved outside?

NLS1
05-12-2013, 08:19 PM
They are one of my favorite species to hunt. They can provide a decent challenge. You can stalk, stillhunt, stand, call, team, dog, and probably a few other ways to hunt them. Not to mention the fall colors can be very picturesque. Along with not being bad table fodder.

Yep they are sure fun to hunt. They are good practice each year to teach you how to be part of the landscape for when you hunt bigger stuff.

I was watching one through the scope last fall and watched it fall backwards off a log! Too funny. It was a fox squirrel, which are a little less coordinated than the greys. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Dan

Teddy (punchie)
05-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Bunnies get a parasite in there gut. Looks like tadpole eggs (frog egg one single not the string) white sack like with a white head, tear drop shape. I wood guess any rodent may get them. Every August the numbers drop big time around here. Back yard full and then all most all gone in a few weeks.

Griz44mag
05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure exactly what ran through my mind when I read the title to this thread, but .....
It's the shortest drag I've ever seen.....

x101airborne
05-14-2013, 11:39 PM
We call that parasitic worm squirrels and rabbits get "warbles". Dont know if that is the correct name for it or not, but that has been the name for it for all my life anyway.

richhodg66
05-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Where I grew up in S.C. those Bot fly larva were a problem and we used to see it commonly, but here in Kansas, the season starts in June when it's still hot and I've never heard of them being a problem here. Maybe it gets too cold here for them.

Boyscout
05-15-2013, 02:43 AM
I thought short drag had something to do with deer. I hunt benches in some big hills. Anytime a wounded deer goes over one bench or more the drag becomes exponentially harder. Dragging gray and fox squirrels is definately easier!

cstrickland
05-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure exactly what ran through my mind when I read the title to this thread, but .....
It's the shortest drag I've ever seen.....

that made me laugh out loud at work . everyone was looking at me like I was weird , untill I show them the pic !!! damn thats funny !
thanks Griz

popper
05-20-2013, 11:35 PM
NLS1 so you just put them on the grill, arrow and all. Parasites are also a problem in fish, worst one is tape worm. Cook completely.

Rich Cronk
05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=GARCIA;2212425]"Wolves" actually the larva of the Bot Fly.
----------------------------------------
Back when I was only about 11 years old, I shot a rabbit during summer and when I started pulling the hide off, there was a nasty looking grub under there. I never shot another rabbit during the summer months. My Dad always told me that you shouldn't eat a rabbit until after the first snow.

Crazy Carl
07-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Rodents carry some nasty bacteria, so if yer gunnin' 'em in warmer months glove up & be careful with that whole open wound/broken skin thing.

That said, I'm a squirrel eating fool. Raised on tree rats & love 'em fried with a side of biscuits & sausage gravy.

NLS1
07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
NLS1 so you just put them on the grill, arrow and all. Parasites are also a problem in fish, worst one is tape worm. Cook completely.

Too funny-just saw your comment popper! Yep suppose I should use aluminum arrows then-won't melt like the carbon ones!

Only two months until small game season and archery for deer!

Dan

1Shirt
07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
A good deer drag to me is about 1 foot and a lift into the back of a pickup that you drove to the kill!
1Shirt!